Pyka is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join our small, experienced team working on autonomous flight software for large un-piloted airplanes. In this role, you will be responsible for designing and implementing software for a wide range of subsystems both on and off the aircraft.
Your roles and responsibilities will vary significantly from one week to the next as the components evolve. Below is a list of some current projects that you will contribute to:
- Real time flight controller running bare-metal on an ARM/FPGA SoC
- BLDC motor controller
- Flight path planner with LiDAR for obstacle avoidance
- 3D LiDAR-based SLAM
- High-speed logging and telemetry protocol
- Ground control station
At Pyka, we develop autonomous electric aircraft to provide people with an affordable and compelling alternative to ground transit. We make hyper-short takeoff and landing autonomous electric aircraft. Today, we’re using our aircraft to protect crops with fully automated aerial sprays in order to obtain the flight hours, technical readiness, and scale required for human transportation.
Our aircraft make aerial crop protection safer and less harmful to surrounding communities. They’re also highly economical to operate and easy to deploy.
We are the only company in the world approved for commercial work with full-scale, autonomous aircraft. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better today.
Pyka’s core technologies include proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes. Our full-stack team is from Cora/Kittyhawk, Joby Aviation, Waymo, and Google[x].
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will earn a competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Work with the existing software team (currently 2 people) to contribute to an existing C/C++11 codebase (~15kloc)
- Design and implement new software components and corresponding tests.
- Work on the ARM-FPGA interface
- Work on the bare-metal ARM platform support library
- Design and implement embedded control software for hardware subsystems (motor controllers, sensor boards, battery systems, etc.)
- Test and debug problems on large aircraft
- Work closely with other teams (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, flight testing) to identify, prioritize, and solve problems
- 5+ years of professional experience with C and C++ (ideally C++11 or newer)
- Experience writing real-time and safety critical software
- Experience with embedded systems (including debugging in challenging environments)
- Experience with FPGAs (especially ARM/FPGA SoCs)
- Familiarity with robotic systems
- Familiarity with communication protocols
- Working knowledge of trigonometry and linear algebra
- Competitive salary and equity
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and flexible PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- Opportunity to work on large autonomous aircraft and see them fly