Pyka is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join our small, experienced team working on autonomous flight software for large un-piloted airplanes. In this role, you will be responsible for designing and implementing software for a wide range of subsystems both on and off the aircraft.
Your roles and responsibilities will vary significantly from one week to the next as the components evolve. Below is a list of some current projects that you will contribute to:
- Real time flight controller running bare-metal on an ARM/FPGA SoC
- BLDC motor controller
- Flight path planner with LiDAR for obstacle avoidance
- 3D LiDAR-based SLAM
- High-speed logging and telemetry protocol
- Ground control station
Pyka is an autonomous electric aircraft company that was founded in February 2017. We are a full-stack team with strong expertise in both software and firmware development for autonomous vehicles, and electric aircraft systems integration and aircraft design. Our company is founded on the goal of some day providing every-day people an inexpensive and compelling alternative to existing public transit systems using our extremely short takeoff and landing autonomous electric aircraft. In order to obtain the flight hours, technical readiness, and scale of business required for human transportation, our first product is an autonomous electric crop duster which we have commercially deployed in New Zealand.
Our current product makes aerial crop spraying safer and less harmful to surrounding communities. In addition, it is far easier to deploy than existing technology as the pilot's training barrier is considerably lower, and the equipment is dramatically less expensive, both up front, and during operation compared to manned turboprop aircraft.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, and the ability to express different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will earn a competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Work with the existing software team (currently 2 people) to contribute to an existing C/C++11 codebase (~15kloc).
- Design and implement new software components and corresponding tests.
- Work on the ARM-FPGA interface
- Work on the bare-metal ARM platform support library
- Design and implement embedded control software for hardware subsystems (motor controllers, sensor boards, battery systems, etc.)
- Test and debug problems on large aircraft
- Work closely with other teams (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, flight testing) to identify, prioritize, and solve problems
- 5+ years of professional experience with C and C++ (ideally C++11 or newer)
- Experience writing real-time and safety critical software
- Experience with embedded systems (including debugging in challenging environments)
- Experience with FPGAs (especially ARM/FPGA SoCs)
- Familiarity with robotic systems
- Familiarity with communication protocols
- Working knowledge of trigonometry and linear algebra