Perchwell is a small distributed team of intellectually curious and passionate individuals who are working together with forward-thinking MLS and brokerages on a mission to change the real estate industry. As a complete market intelligence, search and collaboration solution, we enable agents to differentiate themselves by evaluating the market and developing hyper-personalized, actionable insights for their clients in seconds.
As a team, we have diverse backgrounds, interests and lifestyles, but we are united by our values. We do exceptional work, pay attention to the details, build great products, and have a positive impact on the industry we serve.
Built in one of the most competitive real estate markets in the world (New York), our clients include top local and national brokerages, which serve as natural distribution channels as we launch in new markets across the country.
Already profitable and growing rapidly, we’re using our recent Series A (Founders Fund, Lux Capital) to launch into new markets across the US, with target revenue growth of 10x and team growth of 5x within the next 12 months.
What we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced full-stack or backend engineer to take part in all stages of the product development and deployment lifecycle. As part of our small team of developers, you'll collaborate with everyone on building out the team, process, & tech stack as we work on growing both our team, business and technology.
Projects we’ve tackled in the past:
- Developed workflow solutions from the ground up that allow agents to create and edit property listings for some of the most valuable properties across multiple real estate markets.
- Developed an interface to allow users to export custom reports for their clients, allowing them to choose what information to include and how to display it.
- Engineered an advanced search and filter system allowing users to find apartments and analyze the most accurate real-estate dataset in New York.
- Blazing fast real time analytics on the property market driven by Elastic Search
What you’ll work on:
- Develop new client-facing features and interfaces
- Drive large, complex projects autonomously, from technical design to launch
- Determine plans-of-attack on large projects
- Tackle complex architecture challenges, apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects
- Mature our existing tech platform to prepare it to scale with our future growth plans
- Help us define a healthy and effective development culture that balances the need to move quickly with planning for the future.
- Be an example for thorough, meaningful code reviews
- Take ownership over QA and release cycles of your work as part of a you-build-it-you-run-it practice.
Required for the role
- BS or MS in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience collaborating on software development projects
- Deep experience with one of the more prominent languages, Java, Python, C#, C/C++, with a strong preference for Ruby (our current technology)
- Past experience building complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers
- Appreciation for (and the ability to create) simple and beautiful UI
- Question assumptions, experiment with new technologies, and find the development of a reliable and maintainable system just as exciting as we do
Bonus Points if you have any of the following:
- Deep expertise with the following technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- Coffee Script
- Elasticsearch & PostgreSQL
- Rails fundamentals: ActiveRecord/ActiveQuery, ActionController, ActionMailer
- Delayed job or other message queue implementations
- AWS services including: EC2, RDS, CloudFront, ECR, S3, and Route53
- Experience with any of the following:
- Working knowledge or experience with AWS offerings, Elasticsearch, or PostgreSQL-
- Building and maintaining low-latency ETL workflows; data ingestion/aggregation
- Implementing RESTful APIs and, in particular, OData-compliant services
- Working with omnichannel communication APIs (incl. email, SMS, push notifications, etc.), particularly Twilio's APIs.
- Front end development in React or Backbone