Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates economic transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. In addition to training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to re-envision funding for outcomes-based organizations.
Pursuit is hiring a Career Coach to support our program participants, Fellows, successfully navigate the job search process and get their first jobs as software engineers. The majority of this role will be delivering workshops and providing coaching and feedback to Fellows on their personal branding, job applications, and networking.
This role will support Fellows in both the Day and Nights & Weekends Cohorts. Therefore this role will work a non-traditional schedule, including some nights and weekends.
- You are passionate about our mission, and have experience, or interest in, working directly with adults from underserved communities.
- You have familiarity with the tech industry landscape and job market through experience as part of the hiring process i.e. Talent Acquisition, Human Resources, Hiring Manager/Team Leader, Recruitment, etc.
- You enjoy professional development and coaching, inspiring people to reach the highest standards in order to achieve success.
- You are an outstanding creator of content, for both online resources and reference, and workshops.
- Help Fellows identify their personal career goals, apply for jobs, prepare for interviews by one on one and group coaching sessions.
- Keep Fellows on track during the first month of their official job search, setting goals and holding them accountable to job application volume, continuous coding and project work.
- Ensure all Fellows complete the program with job-ready application materials (including: resume, cover letter, interview skills) through group workshops and one-on-one feedback and coaching.
- Develop workshops and student-facing resources on a variety of professional skills related to job applications and the job search, including resume writing, cover letters, behavioral interviews, networking, company research, negotiations and more.
- Own the “Career Hub” of our internal Wiki, working with industry professionals to design standards for resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn, and interview readiness
- Prepare and coach Fellows for major externally-facing Pursuit events such as Hackathons, Tech Showcase, and Demo Day as these are networking opportunities
- 3+ years professional experience in a role focused on coaching/adult professional development, as a Career Coach, Team Manager, Human Resources (Recruiting, Learning & Development, Talent Management, etc.) , Social Worker, etc.
- A developed perspective of what it takes to successfully land a job in today’s job market as a junior software developer, including knowledge of the tech industry landscape and job market, ideally as part of the hiring process (hiring manager, recruiter, HR team)
- Experience creating excellent content, and delivering presentations to large groups of people.
- Ability to give constructive, actionable feedback to people of all backgrounds, in writing and verbally.
- Data-driven and outcomes-oriented. comfortable using systems to keep track of large amounts of data and progress to goals and identifies opportunities to collect feedback on work.
- Ability to inspire and motivate individuals from different backgrounds
- Experience using Linkedin and/or other social media to promote self or business
- Experience providing feedback on job application materials
- Coaching or recruiting background
- Experience leading workshops or classes virtually
- Experience using an LMS
Please note that we are now fully remote due to Covid-19 but we will eventually return to onsite operations, or a hybrid of remote/onsite, and therefore our strong preference is for candidates in the NYC Metro Area.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, and discounted gym memberships.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.