Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, and JPMorgan Chase, and increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000.
In addition to providing training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to scale our services to more people and places of need. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, and communities across the nation.
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals and support our national expansion.
Creating the Foundations for National Impact
Pursuit is a rapidly growing organization that’s scaling to make a national impact. Founded in 2011, we have doubled in budget and staff each year over the past several years. We are currently a team of 35 and anticipate expanding our team to 60+ this year. We are creating a non-traditional financing model which leverages social impact/program related investments and earned revenue strategies that align program performance with financial results. We plan to rapidly scale our operations, personnel and funding to create the foundations for national expansion and more broadly serve communities and cities across America.
About the Role
As Pursuit’s first marketing leadership position, you will play a key role in developing and executing a marketing strategy that amplifies our mission of creating transformation where it’s needed most. You will be responsible for helping us tell the story of our impact, our Fellows, and our innovative approach to creating change through our new financing model called the Pursuit Bond and other initiatives. We are looking for a data-driven storyteller who can drive results for us across our marketing, communications, and PR goals.
- Build and execute a marketing strategy that aligns with overall org mission and goals
- Craft messaging and positioning for the organization and help tell the story of our Fellows, organization, and impact
- Work with the management and creative team to demonstrate thought leadership via content marketing that includes white papers/guides, checklists, infographics, videos, social media, and blog posts.
- Work with the Partnership and Business Development team on building strategic marketing opportunities with our partners and funders
- Work with the communications team to execute outward PR strategies and plans that promote key initiatives and the organization’s brand.
- Create and implement campaigns that generate leads, drive awareness and aid in qualifying prospective Fellows, funders, employers, and partners.
- Develop a data-driven marketing plan for Fellow recruitment to source and identify qualified leads, and establishing a methodology to measure, track and course-correct.
- Develop content for website, newsletters, blogs, white papers, and social media
- Create high-impact, go-to-market strategy to support our sales and fundraising process by creating sales support materials, including brochures, prospect decks, marketing collateral, and industry presentations
- Help prepare the org to scale our marketing efforts as we plan for national expansion
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Marketing (or related field) and/or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience in progressively more responsible marketing positions, preferably in technology, start-ups, non-profits, or skills-based industries
- Articulate storyteller, must be able to both speak and write with passion, clarity, and purpose
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to craft and execute impactful marketing campaigns
- Able to break down complex concepts and explain them simply
- Experience working across a wide variety of marketing channels including media, social, and content within a startup environment with limited resources
- Entrepreneurial mindset and flexibility a MUST - a leader who is willing to “roll up sleeves” and get the job done during a period of rapid growth
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong administrative, managerial and leadership skills
- Strong connection to Pursuit's mission
Our Values and Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as “One Big Team,” supporting one another and ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members and volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral and ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work and immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency and deep commitment to our students, to our community, and to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, and because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- and we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, and care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, and thank them by delivering outcomes to each and every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We can’t manage anything we can’t measure. Data and analysis give definition and ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact and improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity and the faith in what’s possible. Our work is about beating the odds and overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, and a fun and active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, and fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.