Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, and JPMorgan Chase, and increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000.
In addition to providing training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to scale our services to more people and places of need. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, and communities across the nation.
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant, and hard-working team to achieve our goals and support our national expansion.
About this Role: Business Development Manager
Pursuit is seeking a Business Development Manager to maximize revenue by generating leads, targeting prospects, maintaining corporate partnerships, and managing the sales process from identifying new business opportunities through to closing deals. This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial and creative individual to work with our best-in-class partners on closing the prosperity gap and increasing inclusion in the tech sector. Partnership agreements include components that span corporate hiring, volunteerism and thought leadership/marketing opportunities for partners. In particular, securing corporate hiring agreements are a key metric of success for this role, as hiring drives both our fellows’ employment outcomes and our innovative financing model.
Scope & Responsibilities
- Identify new business and revenue generating opportunities, both funding and hiring, through market and prospect research
- Develop company-specific approach plans that reflect corporate partners’ business needs, as well as philanthropic and community engagement goals
- Work with teammates to operationalize and deliver on partnership agreements, ensuring delivery and partner satisfaction
- Prepare and deliver compelling pitch materials that are tailored to the corporate partner and showcases Pursuit’s value proposition
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively with teammates and key stakeholders to operationalize and deliver against action plans and execute partnership agreements
- Work with senior leadership to develop and write program concepts, proposals and reports
- Manage acknowledgement, reporting and stewardship for revenue contracts and partnership agreements
- Establish and maintain client relationships to ensure ongoing support, tracking all engagement in customer relationship management system
Qualifications & Competencies
- At least 3-5 years experience in a partnership development or strategic partnerships role; either corporate and/or non-profit experience preferred
- Interest in technology and industry fluency preferred
- Ability to navigate ambiguous situations and to drive to clarity, with a mindset of building repeatable processes for the future
- Demonstrated experience in meeting and exceeding ambitious targets, along with proficiency with all steps of the sales cycle (pipeline management and prospect management through closing deals)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to quickly synthesize complex ideas and align them with funder priorities
- Data-driven and results-focused
- Creative, flexible, and solution-oriented
- Extremely motivated and inspired by Pursuit’s mission
Our Values and Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as “One Big Team,” supporting one another and ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members and volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral and ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work and immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency and deep commitment to our students, to our community, and to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, and because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- and we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, and care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, and thank them by delivering outcomes to each and every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We can’t manage anything we can’t measure. Data and analysis give definition and ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact and improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity and the faith in what’s possible. Our work is about beating the odds and overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, and a fun and active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, and fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.