Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, and JPMorgan Chase, and increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000.
In addition to providing training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to scale our services to more people and places of need. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, and communities across the nation.
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals and support our national expansion.
Creating the Foundations for National Impact
Pursuit is a rapidly growing organization that’s scaling to make a national impact. Founded in 2011, we have doubled in budget and staff each year over the past several years. We are currently a team of 35 and anticipate expanding our team to 60+ this year. We are creating a non-traditional financing model which leverages social impact/program related investments and earned revenue strategies that align program performance with financial results. We plan to rapidly scale our operations, personnel and funding to create the foundations for national expansion and more broadly serve communities and cities across America.
About the Role
As Pursuit's Director of People, you will be helping to lead the growth of our organization, establishing best-in-class processes and practices within the human resource function. We are searching for an energetic leader to oversee and build out the team, as well as policies, procedures, and programs that fit our organization’s needs. Your role will include strategic organizational planning and development, implementing policy, devising and conducting onboarding programs, employee relations, learning/training initiatives, recruitment, professional development, compensation planning, benefits, HR compliance, and more. Our ideal candidate is a true generalist who is excited about wearing many hats, skilled across all HR domains, and has successfully scaled teams in the past. This is a fantastic opportunity to partner with the management team to build Pursuit's culture during a pivotal stage of its growth and development, and we are looking for a dynamic leader who will be transformative.
The Director of People will:
- Oversee compensation and administration of benefits
- Develop and implement personnel policies and procedures
- Act as core “evangelist” in defining and communicating Pursuit internal culture
- Develop and participate in staff training and development programs
- Support management team is defining performance management procedures including the annual review process, goal setting and implementation of performance improvement plans
- Manage our Talent Acquisition Lead and help develop hiring/recruitment strategy, coordinate/conduct interviews, and onboard new hires
- Maintain personnel files in accordance with requirements of funding agencies and regulations
- Collect and analyze HR data to improve organizational performance
- Coach and counsel employees and managers about employee relations to enhance employee satisfaction
- Work directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities pertaining to personnel and recruitment matters
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure Pursuit's compliance
- Maintain responsibility for Pursuit's compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters
- Perform other duties as requested by senior management
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management (or related field) and/or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum 7 years of experience in progressively more responsible HR positions, preferably in technology, start-ups, non-profits, or skills-based industries
- Broad HR experience in recruitment, benefits administration, compensation, and professional development
- Previous experience working within a small organization that scaled in complexity and personnel
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to develop and implement HR strategies and programs
- Previous experience working with senior level executives – ability to work comfortably with executives and juggle multiple view points and priorities
- Entrepreneurial mindset and flexibility a MUST - a leader who is willing to “roll up sleeves” and get the job done during a period of rapid growth
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong administrative, managerial and leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong connection to Pursuit's mission
Our Values and Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as “One Big Team,” supporting one another and ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members and volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral and ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work and immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency and deep commitment to our students, to our community, and to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, and because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- and we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, and care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, and thank them by delivering outcomes to each and every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We can’t manage anything we can’t measure. Data and analysis give definition and ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact and improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity and the faith in what’s possible. Our work is about beating the odds and overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, and a fun and active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, and fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.