Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, and JPMorgan Chase, and increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000.
In addition to providing training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to scale our services to more people and places of need. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, and communities across the nation.
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals and support our national expansion.
About This Role
Pursuit is currently seeking a strategic, entrepreneurial Partnerships and Business Development Director to lead the way in doubling our revenue in 2019. This role will be instrumental in Pursuit’s growth, and we are looking for a leader who will be strategic and tactical in owning and building this area of our business. You will be directly responsible for generating revenue from a variety of sources by developing new partnerships and growing existing relationships, coaching a team of business development and account management professionals, and bringing best practices into Pursuit. You should have experience building teams, defining and launching operational processes, and achieving revenue-based targets. As a member of the management team, the Partnerships and Business Development Director will be an organizational leader and have incredible impact on Pursuit’s growth trajectory. Our ideal candidate has an impressive track record as a leader in sales, business development, or partnerships and a strong enthusiasm for Pursuit’s mission.
- Lead and drive partnership and business development strategies to increase revenue for Pursuit
- Identify opportunities for partnerships with entities who are excited to share in Pursuit’s mission and build meaningful, new relationships
- Define and progress partners through the Pursuit partnership lifecycle, achieving milestones to meet internal goals
- Structure, negotiate, and close new partnership deals
- Manage and grow existing relationships with partners to maximize value on all sides
- Build infrastructure, processes, and best practices to support the work of partnership and business development, including the introduction of tools and systems as needed
- Work collaboratively with leaders across the organization to define and refine offerings to ensure quality for partners
- Oversee, grow, and train a team of business development and account management professionals
- Set, measure, and reach goals, plans, and KPIs for the partnerships and business development team
- Represent Pursuit externally, generating enthusiasm and new leads at every opportunity
- Oversee the ideation, planning, and production of revenue-generating events
- At least 10 years of professional experience in business development, partnerships, and/or sales
- At least 3 years of experience in a management position, including responsibility for hiring and building a business development, partnerships, and/or sales team
- Incredible relationship-builder with an ability to engage, connect, and maintain relationships with a wide diversity of individuals
- Expert understanding of and well-developed skills in sales, partnerships, and business development, including identifying leads, building relationships, storytelling, negotiating, closing, account management, etc.
- Experienced manager who has built a team and enjoys coaching, mentoring, and ensuring the successful performance of a team
- Proven track record of building new business relationships and signing significant deals
- Comfortable and capable with both developing strategies and rolling up your sleeves to execute on them
- Data-driven and results-focused
- Creative, flexible, and solution-oriented
- Extremely motivated and inspired by Pursuit’s mission
Our Values and Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as “One Big Team,” supporting one another and ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members and volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral and ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work and immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency and deep commitment to our students, to our community, and to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, and because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- and we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, and care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, and thank them by delivering outcomes to each and every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We can’t manage anything we can’t measure. Data and analysis give definition and ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact and improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity and the faith in what’s possible. Our work is about beating the odds and overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, and a fun and active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, and fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.