What is Purple Strategies?
You may not have heard of us. We fly a bit under the radar when it comes to publicity and recognition – and that’s just the way we like it. We prefer to quietly work for some of the most well-known companies and brands in the world. In fact, we work with 10 of Fortune’s top 150 companies on some of their most visible and important reputation and communication opportunities.
Our clients tend to come to us in one of three public opinion contexts: 1) the unthinkable has happened and they need to successfully navigate a crisis and rebuild their reputation over time; 2) new and unfamiliar pressures and headwinds present challenges – sometimes cultural, sometimes regulatory or legal, sometimes competitive – that, if left untended, can significantly affect their company’s license to operate and succeed over time; or 3) the simple need to uncover a fresh, powerful and unique perspective on their company and reputation as a business-building asset and they’re not getting the quality of thinking, planning or activation from an existing partner.
In these cases, our unique proposition is very compelling: Today more than ever, companies are as much political candidates looking to “win” in the context of public opinion as they are brands. So, we combine politically-inspired strategic thinking and planning with savvy, brand-appropriate and channel-neutral activation to help our clients achieve their goals.
And if you’re wondering where “Purple” comes from, it’s what you get when you combine red and blue – as true in kindergarten art class as it is in politics. Our founders, Steve McMahon (former Democratic strategist) and Alex Castellanos (former Republican strategist) came together in 2009 to create a non-partisan, DC-based strategy and communications firm. We have meaningful presence in both DC (Alexandria) and Chicago. We’re oriented toward fewer clients facing significant issues and reputation challenges that we strive to keep for many years – rather than more, smaller and project-based clients. We don’t do political campaigns.
We work with our clients through bespoke client teams that combine expertise in research, analytics and insights, strategy development and campaign planning, and idea-centric connection/content planning and activation.
The presentation designer is responsible for giving our work product a design that matches the level of sophistication put into the work product itself. This person must have a design background and be extraordinarily detail-oriented. The presentations and designs created by the candidate would be used for both internal and external purposes, across a variety of mediums (presentations, on-screen, print-outs, web, etc.).
On a daily basis, this person works with team members from different disciplines and juggles a variety of projects. Because of the quick pace of our business, this person must be able to manage their time with little oversight, while ensuring a quality work product.
- Work with team members from across the firm to help develop and execute the design for internal and external materials
- On occasion, work directly with the client itself, maintaining a level of professionalism throughout
- Develop visually dynamic presentations, research decks, proposals, graphics, charts, icons, campaign plans, internal reports, dashboards, PowerPoints, etc.
- Develop PowerPoint and presentation templates based on brand guidelines provided by the client
Experience, Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Expert knowledge of PowerPoint required
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (Lightroom, InDesign, etc.), Microsoft Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator and other platforms required
- Understanding of different presentation outputs (memo, presentation, animation, corporate report, brand guidelines, etc.) in addition to mediums (on-screen, in-print, book form, digital, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of how to work within brand guidelines and maintain them throughout a document
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and quick turnarounds
- Must be able to work with team members of all ages and disciplines across the firm
- Detail-oriented, can be trusted to deliver a quality work product with minimal oversight and need for revision
- Agency or corporate brand background strongly preferred
- Ability to digest difficult concepts and think of visually stimulating ways to display them
- Knowledge of AP Style Guidelines is strongly preferred
- Flash and web skills are a plus
Education and Training Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree related to graphic communications, graphic design, art direction or another related field is required
- 3-5 years of professional PowerPoint experience
- Portfolio of previous corporate brand / agency work is required
- Ability to work in a professional office setting
- Limited travel