Public is an investing platform that allows you to invest in stocks, ETFs, crypto, art, NFTs, collectibles, and more – all in one place.
Public offers our members a suite of powerful investing tools and insights from a community of millions of investors, creators, and analysts. We produce our own high-quality content, including custom company metrics, live shows about the markets, and Town Halls where public company executives answer questions from our community.
Since 2019, Public has raised over $300 million. Investors include Accel, Tiger Global, as well as Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs, Will Smith (Dreamers VC), Maria Sharapova, Tony Hawk, The Chainsmokers’ Mantis VC; NFL star J.J. Watt, NYU Stern professor Scott Galloway, business executive Dick Parsons, and Shari Redstone’s Advancit Capital.
About the Role:
To support our ambitious goals and continued growth, we’re looking for a sharp, enthusiastic attorney to be the third member of our Legal team, reporting to the VP, Legal. This is a “generalist” role, with an emphasis on product counselling, commercial transactions, and regulatory work. We’re a small team, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work across the organization on cutting-edge, novel issues in a complex, highly-regulated industry.
If complex problem-solving in conditions of ambiguity is your thing, this role is for you. The ideal candidate has a “roll up your sleeves attitude,” keen business judgment, and a strong desire to build something new.
Note: Public is based in New York, but we are open to remote candidates.
What you’ll do:
A little bit of everything. For example:
- Product counselling:
- Public operates within a highly-regulated space. Those regulations impact all aspects of the Public app and the services we provide our customers.
- You’ll work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to navigate those regulations as they build new products and features. You’ll also help them to negotiate any contracts that are required to bring the product to life.
- Public owns its own FINRA-registered broker-dealer. You’ll work with Compliance to ensure that we continue to meet our obligations imposed under SEC and FINRA rules.
- Public leverages Regulation A of the Securities Act of 1933 to allow retail investors to buy and sell fractional interests in “cultural assets” such as fine art, comic books, trading cards and sneakers, among other assets.
- You’ll work with the Alts team on Reg A submissions to the SEC and responding to SEC comment letters.
- Public customers can trade a set of cryptocurrencies on our platform, thanks to our partnership with Apex Crypto LLC.
- You will further refine our crypto compliance regime, including conducting Howey analysis, updating our marketing compliance rules, and conducting diligence on coins before they are listed on the Publuc platform.
- Contract negotiation:
- Handle the wide range of commercial agreements that come up at a consumer technology company: professional services agreements, vendor MSAs and SOWs, IP licenses, NDAs, co-marketing agreements, etc.
- Legal processes/systems:
- Creating and updating playbooks for each business team at Public, to help them navigate legal and compliance requirements and negotiate the best deals possible.
- Build a template library for our most common types of deals, like influencer agreements and production agreements.
- Refine our legal ticketing system to better manage the workflow on the Legal team.
Who you are:
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing.
- 5-7 years of legal experience (ideally a blend of firm and in-house)
- Pragmatic and efficient: You think quickly and are able to give considered, practical advice without all of the information. You break down ideas, projects, and problems into components and leverage them to create logical legal progressions.
- Collaborative: Your impact is much greater because people like working with you. Your strong relationships yield results.
- Entrepreneurial: You’re a self-starter who works independently with little supervision. You drive projects forward. You are excited about learning new things and operating in new spaces.
- Mission-driven: Our ultimate goal is to make the public markets work for all people. Our business is oriented around our customers, and we want to bring on teammates who hold the customer at the center of their work.
- We offer great health care plans and pay the full premium for you and your family including medical, dental, and vision
- Generous PTO and sick leave
- Annual wellness stipend
- 401k with 4% company match
- Your choice of gear - from laptop to desk, we got you covered
Public.com is an equal employment opportunity employer to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We celebrate people of all race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.
The pay range for this position in NYC is $175,000-$230,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay information is based on market location.