Regulatory and Transactions Counsel
KRAFTON, Inc., is a collective of independent game development teams responsible for various entertainment properties, including PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS, NEW STATE MOBILE, THE CALLISTO PROTOCOL, and more. KRAFTON consists of PUBG Studio, Striking Distance Studios, Bluehole Studio, RisingWings, and Unknown Worlds Entertainment, among others. The KRAFTON name, which is derived from the word craftsmanship, is an acknowledgement of the company’s never-ending pursuit of innovation and creating engaging experiences.
KRAFTON is rapidly growing and seeking a Regulatory and Transactions Counsel who will be full-time in Los Angeles or the Bay Area, California. This is a great opportunity to think independently, take initiative of legal affairs, and work in one of the most exciting industries in the world. As Legal Counsel, you will be part of a fast-growing legal department under the Head of Global Legal.
- Help build, shape, and enhance the company’s global regulatory compliance program.
- Advise on compliance requirements in US and other countries related to consumer protection laws, marketing, gambling/games of skill, contests, sweepstakes, accessibility laws, privacy and legal issues unique to the interactive entertainment industry .
- Assist in the development of scalable controls and processes for global business teams to demonstrate compliance with laws applicable to live game operations, publishing and marketing activities.
- Work with legal regulatory teammates and the company’s business and compliance teams on US and international regulatory matters.
- Stay abreast of and research regulatory topics to evaluate and mitigate legal risk for the company’s current and future business lines.
- Draft, negotiate, advise, and review commercial agreements including (for example) services, marketing, development, publishing, licensing, and technology agreements.
- Provide hands-on counsel to all levels of the organization and help with operations of the legal department globally.
- Review changes to law and regulations and advise regarding any impact to the business
- Engage and coordinate with outside counsel as well as the legal team in Seoul, Korea for certain matters.
- Other relevant legal duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate from a top accredited law school.
- Admission to a U.S. state bar (California preferred), and if applicable, qualified to be Registered In-House Counsel in CA.
- 4-8 years of experience in a major law firm or in a videogaming company or other relevant business.
- 2+ years of regulatory experience.
- knowledge of regulatory issues related to gaming and evolving technology, such as blockchain (crypto, NFTs, DAOs, etc), privacy, AI processing, e-commerce, and online advertising.
- Knowledge of Korean a plus, but not required.
- Must have a sense of humor and interest in videogames.
- Strong sense of customer support and excellent interpersonal/communication skills
- Team player, analytical, detail-oriented, organized, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.