Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
What We Do
Push your artistic talent to the limit on a team of world-class environment, character and concept artists who strive to innovate and inspire.
What You'll Do
Psyonix is seeking an experienced Technical Artist specializing in UI to help us translate static UI mockups and motion comps into beautifully animated and dazzling in-game interfaces. With a focus on devising solutions for implementing UI artwork in the engine, your work will directly influence the final look and feel of the user experience.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate with UI Artists to materialize and enhance their concepts in the engine
- Collaborate with UI and Client Programmers to spec out and build necessary tools or additional tech as informed by the art style
- Establish a balance between the technical constraints of the engine and the desired aesthetics of the art direction
- Suggest alternate solutions for impractical designs that allow us to better leverage the strengths of the engine to our advantage
- Organize and document the implementation pipeline for UI artwork so that we can consistently follow best practices and reuse techniques and assets wherever possible
- Create dynamic and responsive UI elements that can scale and reflow to suit a variety of resolutions and localized content
- Help ensure UI implementations make optimal use of texture memory and appropriate compression
What we’re looking for
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Experience working on UI for projects across a variety of platforms (PC, console, mobile, etc.)
- Exceptionally skilled with the Unreal Editor - UMG, Blueprints, and the material editor in particular
- Experience with graphic design software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- A solid understanding of interface conventions and knowledge of current tools and trends in UI development
- Ability to listen to feedback and collaborate with others to come up with creative solutions to challenging designs
- Must work well in a team environment with both programmers and artists
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
Nice To Have Skills
- Knowledge of HLSL/GLSL or similar shader language
- Knowledge of C++/C# or any other programming or scripting languages
- Experience using 2D and/or 3D animation software (Flash/Animate, After Effects, Max, Maya, etc.)
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match and profit share. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents.
Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.