About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Ecosystem ⇄ Outercore
Outercore, the subsidiary that represents grants, accelerators, and special projects at Protocol Labs, is looking for an Open Source Program Manager to help us build the future of p2p distributed networks and empower our many communities – from dweb developers, to browsers, to blockchain projects, to data storage hosts. Everything Outercore does is open source. We’re comfortable sharing unfinished work and trying out new things. The goal is to come up with solutions the entire ecosystem can benefit from.
About this role:
As a Senior Open Source Program Manager, IPFS, your mission is to foster the growth and adoption of IPFS via developer programs, storytelling, and relationships. You will be a key face of IPFS to the community and a conduit back to the IPFS core teams.
You’ll establish strong relationships around the world, and build programs that connect, educate, and empower our global community of users and contributors. You’ll organize our online and offline events strategy alongside our events team. You’ll source, distill, and tell stories that bring our technology to life.
We expect this person not to do all these activities themselves, but to have a vision about what makes for a wonderful community brand and experience, know when to DIY vs. hire or delegate, and have a high bar for quality to which they hold all of Protocol Labs and our IPFS community. Through it all -- the tactical and strategic work -- your warmth and thoughtfulness will be needed to maintain welcoming spaces for our community.
If you’re passionate about building communities, empowering developers, improving the web, and helping game-changing technologies succeed, we’d love to hear from you.
What we’re looking for:
- You have experience building scalable programs for developer communities.
- You can keenly understand different developers’ and users’ needs, wills, and cultures. They should love interacting with you and hearing from you, and you should have a genuine concern for their professional success.
- A fluent, engaging, and prolific communicator, across many formats: writing, forums, social media, video, and more.
- Experience working directly with large open source projects, communication with developers in multiple channels including GitHub, and ability to follow and think critically about product-level technical discussions.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- You’ve played key roles within 1 or more world-class software communities.
- You have a passion for building a better web. If you do not have any experience with IPFS, libp2p, or related technologies, you should be genuinely curious about what they are and willing to develop that expertise!
- Prior experience in technical communications, developer marketing, or related fields
- Relationships across multiple large-scale software communities
- Experience across countries, cultures, and timezones
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.