About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
CryptoEconLab at PL aspires to become a research hub for research on economic incentives, coordination games, and novel marketplaces. We aim to develop capacity to design, validate, deploy, and govern large-scale economic systems. CryptoEconLab strives to empower projects in the ecosystem through novel incentives and advance humanity’s understanding of multiagent systems and algorithmic steering of economic networks
Research at Protocol Labs
Your expertise is mostly driven by both a hunger to learn and a need to work toward solving important problems. Protocol Labs’ engineers are granted both the freedom to develop their knowledge by working on novel applications, and a responsibility to contribute those skills toward advancing the flagship projects of Protocol Labs. You’ll feel at home working with us if your knowledge and optimism enables you to name a few unusual possible approaches when you’re first presented with a problem that people often consider intractable.
As a Backend / Data Engineer at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Prototype novel applications
- Compose existing Web3 primitives into new systems and applications
- Collect, pipeline, and process on-chain and off-chain data to facilitate research and derive insights to drive business strategies and protocol governance
- Build data infrastructure to store and retrieve Pebibytes of data from Filecoin & IPFS
- Create web3 native technology stack to build APIs and services
- Champion Protocol Labs’ GRC strategy for data governance, risk management, privacy, security, quality, and retention, ensuring compliance with legal and business requirements
- Work in a fully asynchronous and remote team
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- 3+ years experience as a software or data engineer in industry
- Strong experience and familiarity with high performance distributed systems and Web3
- Proven experience in developing robust, reusable, and maintainable code (using Rust, Go, Python, or similar programming languages)
- Ability to write understandable and performant SQL queries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and chart new territories
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Network Science, Robotics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field
- Experience with building and deploying large-scale networks and systems
- Experience with building Web3 applications and blockchain technologies
- Prior entrepreneurial experience
- Prior knowledge or contributions to the IPFS, libp2p, and/or Filecoin projects
- Prior contributions to open-source projects
- Familiarity with full-stack Web3 development
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.