About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
CryptoEconLab at PL aspires to become a research hub for research on economic incentives, coordination games, and novel marketplaces. We aim to develop capacity to design, validate, deploy, and govern large-scale economic systems. CryptoEconLab strives to empower projects in the ecosystem through novel incentives and advance humanity’s understanding of multiagent systems and algorithmic steering of economic networks.
Research Engineering at Protocol Labs
Our research scientists and engineers are granted both the freedom to develop their knowledge by working on novel applications, and a responsibility to contribute those skills toward advancing the flagship projects of Protocol Labs.
We believe in an Open Source and Open Collaboration approach to creation. We keep our egos checked at the door and work as a team to tackle the many hard research and engineering challenges required to make systems resilient.
As a CryptoEconLab Research Engineer at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Design, propose, and prototype changes and improvements to IPFS, Filecoin and many other incentivized protocols.
- Collect, pipeline, and process on-chain and off-chain data to facilitate research and derive insights to drive business strategies and protocol governance.
- Design and build predictive models and simulations for ecosystem growth and network governance.
- Prototype and iterate new incentive structures, protocols, and applications from our research.
- Work with stakeholders in the ecosystem to drive growth and enable new opportunities.
- Work in a fully asynchronous and remote team.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field, or extensive practical experience.
- Good systems engineering skills with previous proven experience.
- Able to be critical against proposed or adopted solutions, but in a constructive way.
- Adept at lifting new software projects single-handedly, if necessary.
- Comfortable getting your proposals reviewed and criticized in detail in favor of finding the optimal solution.
- Able to adapt your mode of operation to fit with the team's guidelines for collaboration.
- Self-driven and independent, capable of seeking and learning the necessary tools and technologies to complete your tasks.
- Understand the value of performance critical aspects of software, and related tradeoffs.
Highly-valued bonus points include:
- Prior knowledge or contributions to the IPFS, libp2p, and/or Filecoin projects.
- Past experience with simulation, protocol engineering, smart contract development
- Existing knowledge of optimizing memory and compute bound programs.
- Prior experience in Web3 protocol development.
- Proven experience in developing robust, reusable, and maintainable code.
- Proven experience in developing reproducible experiments and simulations.
- Prior contributions to open-source projects.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.