About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
We’re looking for a driven individual to enable faster, safer collaboration within our team by developing, implementing, supporting, and optimizing the operations of our internal tools and services. Additionally, this role will support other teams within the organization, stepping in wherever needed to provide temporary or ongoing technology assistance.
Systems Engineer at Protocol Labs
No request is too big, small, or soon for you to handle. There is no ordinary day here -- though many of us have ongoing endeavors (both technical and non) we all pitch in regularly across several teams and mission-critical tasks as we’re needed. A significant measure of our success is both the time we save everyone on the team and the added leverage we create. A typical day might include training a new user, resolving a configuration issue in a SaaS application, deploying a new web property, and supporting a virtual event for one of our open source communities.
Protocol Labs sits at the intersection of many exciting fields (cryptography, blockchain backed networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open source, distributed work). The Technology team works hard to keep the company productive and focused on what really matters. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
You may be a fit for this role if…
- You love difficult challenges. Problems that look impossible are the most fun, because you know there is a way - and you won’t stop until you’ve figured it out. When you really need to relax, you play Dark Souls.
- You apply first principles to build new solutions. You’re able to take lessons from past experiences and apply them in new and disparate contexts
- You lean into loosely-defined challenge areas. Because you’re always learning, you have a broad toolbox of skills at your side to tackle ambiguous problems in a fluid environment.
- You are most productive in a remote-work environment. You love the flexibility remote-work gives you to build independent rhythms and really dig into your work. You understand how and where to integrate sync and async communications into your daily routine.
- You are relentlessly customer focused. You’re not happy unless the person you’re trying to help is happy.
- You solve for yes. When someone brings you an unexpected challenge, you can always find a path to resolution.
- You are energized by the success of others. Nothing is more satisfying than solving someone’s sticky problem, particularly when it unblocks an important initiative and makes another team successful.
- You enjoy supporting a highly technical team. You are comfortable and competent providing support for world-class software engineers.
- You are an optimizer. It can always be better. You aren’t content to build something and move on - you want to make you have the best it can be. You understand, at a philosophical level, why some people race lawnmowers.
- You love simplicity. You know that complexity is the enemy, and you build systems, tools, and processes that reduce both cognitive load and opportunities for error.
In this role you will be responsible for…
- Recommending, deploying, and supporting SaaS systems, process, and security protocols
- Developing security policies, incident response protocols, and monitoring & reporting tools
- Managing user technology support, team onboarding, offboarding
- Developing robust user and security training and documenting for internal and external audiences
- Maintaining brand management technologies including domains, websites, social media, email marketing, and other tools
- Optimizing our team’s current tools so we move with ludicrous speed
- Researching new internal tools and services that make us more efficient. No existing solution you can find? Build the solution we need!
- Analyzing the impact of new tools and services on our infrastructure
- ‘Rolling up your sleeves’ often and jumping in to support other teams with tasks such as event planning, travel logistics, even possibly some product management and external customer relations
To be successful, you will need the following skills…
- Experience providing exceptional technology systems recommendations, implementation, documentation, training, and support for a broad set of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Subject matter expertise in all things SaaS, technology implementation, web property deployment, information security, and remote work optimization
- Deep understanding of web development concepts, static site generators, CI management, and DNS configuration
- Experience managing Google Workspace, Github, Zoom, Slack, Discord, Mailchimp, related integrations, secrets managers, project management tools, and other SaaS systems and tools
- Extensive experience developing and documenting support and user training processes, as well as publishing and maintaining public and private documentation using static website generators, Github, Notion, Google Docs, and other tools
- Organized and self-motivation; you don’t wait for guidance, but continuously seeks out ways to improve systems, processes, documentation, and training
- A people-focused customer service mindset, with a track record of going above and beyond to take care of people
- An Impeccable record of integrity and trust
- Comfort using automation and scripting tools in multiple languages, and in technologically diverse environments
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.