About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Lumen is a visual agency working in collaboration with Protocol Labs. We are a group of award-winning designers pioneering new forms of creative expression in the Web3 space. Our group specializes in unique brand strategies and design services for emerging Web3 companies.
As the in-house design group for Protocol Labs, we’ve been lighting up the dWeb with great visual design for years. There are very few creative corners that we haven’t yet explored and mastered. Now as Lumen, we’re stoked to finally open the door and serve the web3 community, too.
We’re looking for a Visual Design Lead to oversee the creation of compelling design solutions for a diverse range of client needs. This role is responsible for the overall visual style and creative execution of Lumen’s talented team of designers. This requires a multidisciplinary skill set that spans brand systems, digital products, and digitally-led marketing campaigns. The ideal Visual Design Lead will bring a mix of artistic, marketing, and business expertise to the position, promoting our company and our valued clients. We’re looking for someone very style and trend aware with a passion for graphic design, typography, and photography. This candidate should inspire and be inspired by others to take our creative efforts to the next level.
Objectives of this Role:
- Direct overall artistic tone and style for client projects, including brand systems, digital marketing campaigns, websites, merchandise, and other digital products.
- Advise on design hires, delegating, mentoring, and managing agency partnerships.
- Help establish Lumen’s standards for artistic production, productivity, quality, and service
- Ensure the design team adheres to creative processes, and identify opportunities for continuous improvement on creative systems and design tools.
- Analyze evolving market trends, consumer needs, and the competitive landscape to identify and share creative insights.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with a broad swath of clients, both in-house and from our global ecosystem.
- Work with the creative team to establish a unified brand understanding and voice for Lumen.
- Conceptualize and execute client visions, directing the development of new assets or harnessing original graphics, copy, content websites, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Constructively engage clients on multiple platforms, wisely responding to feedback, and incorporating changes to evolve a product that addresses the need and excites the client
- Delegate projects to in-house designers and oversee deliverables.
- Develop and manage relationships with external agencies and ensure the quality of deliverables.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art, graphic design, or similar discipline
- 8+ years as a professional graphic designer with 4+ years of experience in a management role
- Exceptional capability with typography, layout, and prototyping
- Highly skilled in leading a team of creative talent
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Fluency in Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, the Adobe Creative Suite, Google Slides
- CSS, After Effects, Notion, and GitHub experience a plus
- A strong bias toward system creation and repeatable patterns
- An expert written communicator who thrives in a remote, async environment
- Highly collaborative creative with a thirst for critical feedback and constant improvement
- User-centered design practitioner
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.