About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
We are looking for an engineer that can contribute toward the design, implement and optimization of cloud native and bare metal infrastructure toward supporting team and stakeholder objectives.
An infrastructure (devops) engineer who would work within an agile team of engineers delivering highly resilient, scalable, automated, and performant infrastructure. Our team values pragmatic, maintainable, and conscientious solutions which leave work in a better shape than how it was found. Typical activities include (but not limited to) contributing infrastructure-as-code via github pull requests using Ansible and Terraform; interacting with partners on which our infrastructure is dependent; troubleshooting performance issues on the gateways; designing, creating and deploying software solutions to cover functional or performance gaps; and/or participate in regular meetings with colleagues to keep stakeholders well informed.
Bifrost’s Mission is helping build, grow and provide guidance on running ipfs and ipfs-cluster at scale with an emphasis on providing a reliable, scaleable and fast gateway service at . And as part of the Infra Team we help to grow adoption and growth of the decentralized Internet by building software infrastructure for implementation of the Filecoin, IPFS, and protocols, and operating them as services that can be consumed in a secure, reliable, and scalable manner. We succeed through team work, favoring simplicity over sophistication, and fostering a sense of community.
As a Sr. Infrastructure Engineer, NetOps-Bifrost at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Lead projects, initiatives, and designs
- Should be able to study the problem space to gain understanding of the needs of our customers and how our space relates to delivery and operations.
- Maintain proactive async communication with stakeholders to provide updates
- Strong Partnerships
- Can collaborate well internally and with partner teams.
- Build strong relationships with different teams.
- Operate resilient/highly-available IPFS gateways and clusters which meet well-defined objectives
- Establish measurable service level objectives in collaboration with stakeholders
- Establish comprehensive observability over the performance of deployable services
- Write, review, and merge infrastructure-as-code changes to our git repositories
- Offer bespoke infrastructure support where high-priority opportunities arise
- Adopt and apply deep domain knowledge such as Protocol Lab’s Interplanetary Stack (libp2p, ipfs, filecoin, etc) to understand and anticipate how it applies within and around your responsibilities
- Team Multiplier
- Improve collaboration and remove friction within and around our team
- Write high-quality design proposals and technical documentation
- Promote a positive, productive, and constructive engineering culture toward adopting best practices, experimentation and failing quickly toward success
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- 5+ years experience working in a software and/or infrastructure engineering position - crafting resilient, high-scale, low latency, distributed microservices in production environments
- Possess strong technical background with emphasis on infrastructure, devops, and software engineering best practices.
- Understand computer networks and the Internet and how distributed resources in the cloud communicate: IP, UDP/TCP, DNS, TLS, HTTP, managing websockets, unix sockets as well as custom protocols and abstractions
- Know how to configure and optimize NGINX
- Driven by the desire to solve hard infrastructure problems with the goal to automate and scale everything.
- Be able to understand domain-specific technical topics and how they impact the team’s operational success.
- Enjoy collaborating and sharing ideas with the team.
- Be comfortable working remotely and asynchronously by leaning strongly on your ability to communicate written ideas effectively with strong attention to detail.
- Motivated to deliver high quality solutions quickly.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.