About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
What we're looking for
We are looking for an infrastructure-oriented software engineer that can contribute toward the design, implementation and maintenance of tools, while driving software improvements in the PL Web3 stack, supporting team and stakeholder objectives.
Working closely with DevOps and SRE teams, develop tooling to support uptime and throughput goals of core services and applications. Taking feedback from team and stakeholders, identify and implement improvements in the software we run, or find opportunities to create new projects entirely to meet infrastructure and operational specific goals.
Fil-Infra’s main goal is to operate and monitor core Filecoin network infrastructure and drive operational improvements in Lotus to increase network resiliency and general Filecoin adoption.
As part of the NetOps team, Fil-Infra is supporting the adoption and growth of the decentralized Internet by building software infrastructure for implementation of the Filecoin, IPFS protocols, and operating them as services that can be consumed in a secure, reliable, and scalable manner. We succeed through team work, favoring simplicity over sophistication, and fostering sense of community.
As a Fil-Infra Infrastructure Software Engineer at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Create tooling, automation and leverage existing products to make Web3 applications performant, scalable and resilient in Cloud Native and on-premise environments.
- Solve LibP2P network challenges running in large scale Cloud and On-Premises environments
- Support operations and monitoring of core Filecoin Network Infrastructure including Bootstrap Nodes, Disputers, Chain Snapshotting, api.chain.love, stats.filecoin.io and more
- Become familiar with Filecoin implementation (primarily Lotus) and contribute bug fixes and new features. Push on operational improvements in the software to make running it at scale easier and more approachable for decentralized operations and infrastructure teams.
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices: testing, debugging, automating, refactoring.
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- +3 years experience with the modern programming language
- +2 years experience within the Kubernetes ecosystem, creating Operators and tooling.
- +1 years experience working in distributed systems:
- Peer to peer networking and computing.
- bonus: Strong understanding of the Actor Model Design Pattern.
- bonus: Familiarity with ethereum smart contract
- Being accountable for operational support based on an on-call rotational model.
- Knowledgeable in the Storage domain at the kernel and application layers.
- Involvement with Filecoin Storage Providers or Crypto Mining.
- OpenTelemerty/Distributed Tracing
- Opencensus, OpenTracing
- Experience working remotely in a distributed team.
- Experience with Open Source Software.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.