About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
The Community Manager role will be focused on helping us build a thriving community of contributors. They will manage communications with our community, help gain adoption for our new releases, and overall serve as the link between PL product and engineering teams and our community. The Community Manager will make sure all of PL communities engaged, supported, and heard as we progress down the path of becoming a thriving open-source project and cryptonetwork
Objectives for the role
- Initially, the role will support the Bedrock team, which is focused on enabling the growth of the Filecoin network via highly reliable storage, retrieval, and by making Filecoin the persistence layer for IPFS
- Community Manager will create communication plans for upcoming releases, post on social media, answer inbound emails, manage our community newsletter, respond to help questions on our public communication channels, run community calls, etc. This work is critical for engaging our communities, and allows team members to focus on their core work (such as shipping and building new features for storage providers and storage clients).
- Longer term, Community Manager will support our Data Programs (e.g., Slingshot, Evergreen), and Large client tooling teams, as well as own a long term community engagement strategy
Specifically, the role will be responsible for:
- Managing upcoming releases: owning communication plans, aligning with the engineering, product and technical support teams to create all necessary release assets, training programs, tutorials, etc.
- General community support (technical and non-technical): Answering inbound emails, responding to technical support and other questions on our community channels (Slack, Discord, github, Matrix, discuss.filecoin.io)
- Community communications: Managing our community newsletter, contributing to blog posts about work being done across multiple projects, posting on social media channels, etc.
- Managing community meetups: Running community calls on a regular cadence, helping to wrangle content and presentations (both internal to PL and including community) for community calls, organizing community ambassadors and chapters, helping to support and organize community in-person meetups, staying on top of these happenings and goings-on and surfacing learnings/insights to the team, hosting meetups at well-attended conferences
- Community strategy: Working with project leads to organize longer-term initiatives for community, including conferences and camps, community support programs, etc
- Making it easier to contribute to IPFS and Filecoin: improving communication about open issues, helping curate issues with technical project managers, etc.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- 3 years of relevant experience in online community management or operations management
- Keen attention to detail and strong project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially with a globally diverse population
- Knowledge of social media marketing best practices
- Technical competency (Comp Sci degree and some prior engineering experience is highly desirable) and understanding of developer needs
- Passion for the decentralized web and information access
- Comfort with remote, internationally-distributed teams
Bonus skills and/or abilities
- Experience running open-source or cryptonetwork communities/partnerships/strategic initiatives
- Experience and interest in giving public talks
- Large independent social media following (e.g. 2000+ Twitter followers)
Some of the metrics we would use to measure success in this role and their directional movement are:
- Adoption rate of our new releases
- Number of data onboarding tools built by the community members
- Time to resolve questions about roadmap, testnet/mainnet/launch, etc on our community channels should decrease
- Number of blog posts
- Social media engagement
- Number of SPX group members
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.