About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Define and build elegant, performant, and resilient systems for tomorrow's web.
We are hiring Distributed Systems Engineers to work on implementations of protocols like IPFS, Filecoin and libp2p. Enthusiasm about the decentralized web and blockchains has brought an influx of people who want to _use_ distributed systems but who don't know _how to build_ the necessary infrastructure. We are building that infrastructure. To continue that work, we're looking for people who thoroughly understand the principles of distributed systems and cryptography, and who will lean into the challenges of applying those principles in open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
IPFS is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. Combining distributed systems research with large-scale real-world application, IPFS has brought content-addressed, peer-to-peer applications to millions of monthly active users. If successful, IPFS will form a new foundation for a distributed web of knowledge and computation for humans everywhere -- 🌎 - 🚀 - 🌖.
Many significant technical challenges remain as we expand the IPFS network and functionality to support new scaling demands. We're seeking senior engineers experienced in distributed systems design and implementation to join our full-time open-source team. We particularly value experience independently designing and implementing significant components of complex systems, leading strong open source communities, contributing to projects involving protocol design or globally distributed systems, and demonstrating execution focus and discipline to carry such projects to completion.
Distributed Systems Engineering at Protocol Labs
Distributed systems engineering lies at the center of many projects at Protocol Labs. With IPFS, libp2p, Filecoin and other related projects we are laying the foundation for a more resilient, more secure, distributed version of the web. This requires rigorous engineering from protocol design through all the phases of implementation. We strike a balance between pragmatism (put it on a ship ⛴), deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As a Senior Software Engineer with IPFS, you will...
- Build the next generation of peer-to-peer software, working on projects like libp2p, IPFS and Filecoin
- Contribute to steering and maintenance of implementations of IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p and similar open source projects
- Create or maintain software libraries and programs depended on by other systems and applications
- Contribute to protocol design and specification efforts
- Participate in the design and implementation of performant and resilient distributed applications
- Develop solutions to hard problems in low-trust distributed systems
- Integrate research results and demonstrations into working, scalable programs and systems
- Work alongside a cross-functional team including engineering, design, community, product, and business
- Engage and educate the community, from users to contributors
- Lead and develop more junior engineers, and provide guidance and review for open source contributors around the world
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- Leadership experience building and maintaining large-scale distributed systems in production
- Literacy with cryptographic principles and practices
- Experience with 1 or more of the following: Smart Contracts, storage platforms, UNIX file systems, VMs (preferred)
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading open source projects, and/or guiding their communities
- Security engineering and/or cryptography principles and practices
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Experience building with decentralized building blocks such as DHTs, consensus protocols, smart contracts, blockchain, p2p networking, etc.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.