About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
We are looking for an impact-driven Sr. Infrastructure Engineer to define and build elegant, performant, and resilient systems for tomorrow's web.
Enthusiasm about the decentralized web and blockchains has brought an influx of people who want to use distributed systems, but don't know how to build the necessary infrastructure. We are building that infrastructure.To continue. that work, we're looking for people who thoroughly understand the principles of distributed systems and cryptography, and who will lean into the challenges of applying those principles in open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
Distributed Systems Engineering at Protocol Labs
Distributed systems engineering lies at the center of many projects at Protocol Labs. The Infra team at Protocol Labs runs critical infrastructure that helps power networks like IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, Drand, and other related projects. This requires rigorous engineering across protocol and infrastructure design, through all phases of implementation. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source. We encourage each other to think big, run experiments, and support each other in a blame-free environment.
Our infrastructure engineering team is growing, and you will have the opportunity to apply creative ways of solving complex challenges associated with building, securing, and operating large-scale infrastructure that is unique to the decentralized nature of Web 3.0
As a Sr. Infrastructure Engineer at Protocol Labs, you will...
- Design, develop, and maintain infrastructure in a mix of cloud-based and traditional environments to power large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant services while ensuring the highest security standards.
- Work with standard tools to monitor and inspect the different deployments -- choosing and creating tooling to quickly assess health, evolution, and any adjustments needed.
- Work alongside a cross-functional team including software design & development, product management, and ecosystem engineers. Provide technical leadership, support, and best-practices to stakeholders across the PL Network (inside/outside the org).
- Support launch of new products & services by participating in system design, building and deploying software-defined infrastructure, capacity planning, and operational readiness.
- Operate and improve infrastructure for large-scale services such as the IPFS HTTP Gateways, IPFS Clusters, etc., by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health to identify and mitigate risks.
- Incorporate monitoring, alerting, and observability to support services that allow us to maintain the highest standards of security, reliability and uptime.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and developer velocity.
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- Enjoy building infrastructure tools, and services that improve velocity for software development teams by enabling them to consume, and manage infrastructure in a self-service manner.
- You look for opportunities to automate, systematize, and document through APIs, runbooks, etc.
- Have experience deploying production-grade infrastructure in an automated, reliable, and portable manner using Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment tools such as GitHub Actions, CircleCI, TravisCI, or similar.
- Comfortable with software-defined infrastructure & configuration management tools such as Terraform, Ansible, or similar.
- Experience with contemporary monitoring & metrics tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, InfluxDB, etc.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes, etc.
- Deep understanding and experience with core Internet protocols (BGP, IP, TCP, DNS, TLS, HTTP), data caching in networks, and Linux system administration.
- Have experience designing, administering, and securing cloud environments.
- Place high value in documentation, and sharing of knowledge through effective written and verbal communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working remotely in a distributed team.
- Experience with Open Source Software.
- Being accountable for operational support based on an on-call rotational model.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Golang, and the Docker ecosystem, (but you don’t necessarily need to be an expert).
- Experience with aggregated logging tools such as Filebeat, Logstash, Elasticsearch.
- Experience iterating and driving infrastructure projects with initiative and autonomy.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.