At Protenus, software engineers build the technology that enables the discovery of waste, fraud, and abuse in health information systems. From data transformation to platform engineering to machine learning to visualization, our engineering teams work across the technology stack and contribute a variety of skill-sets to our product. Software engineers play a key role as we break through technical challenges and grow our product breadth while we scale the company.
About The Role
Our back-end engineering teams work with data processing pipelines and analytics. We use programming languages like Scala to audit user behavior including drug handling and access to health data. Every day our software analyzes all audit and drug handling activities at our customers’ sites and detects unusual behavior.
As a Senior Health Data Engineer, you will provide industry experience and insight to determine best integration paths with major health information systems like the electronic health/medical record (EHR) systems and pharmacy/medication administration systems. You will contribute to our sophisticated extract, transform, and load (ETL) software suite and serve as an expert guide to our customers on how to successfully integrate their systems. Some travel may be required, likely no more than a couple of days per month. You will work closely with other engineers, data scientists and product managers to define requirements and build efficient, well-tested and scalable software. You will also work with our customer success team to understand customers’ experience with our product, answer their questions, and enhance the product to better meet their needs.
Key Qualifications, Skills, Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or similar discipline.
- 5+ years of professional experience in the domain, including experience with:
- Developing software or interfaces with an electronic health record (EHR) systems
- Health IT domain experience: EHRs (Epic, Meditech, Cerner, etc.), HL7/FHIR/CCDA, etc.
- A broad understanding of HIPAA, relevant security protocols, and healthcare workflows
- Past experience in a regulated industry where security is paramount
- Object oriented software development
- Linux/Bash/Powershell shell operations and scripts.
- Advanced use of relational database platforms (MSSQL, Oracle, MySQL) and experience writing scripts with SQL (T-SQL, PL/SQL, and/or CCL)
- Experience with data modeling and various data representation formats (CSV, XML, JSON)
- Skill and appreciation for test driven development & automation.
- Experience leading technical teams through formal or informal leadership roles
- Mentorship of junior software engineers
- 2+ years of professional experience aligned with any of our “Bonus” qualifications
- Professional experience with a JVM language, preferably Scala, Kotlin or Java
- Data warehouse ETL experience
- Hardening or auditing IT security systems
- Continuous integration & delivery patterns using Jenkins, Git, etc.
- Agile development settings (Scrum).
- Experience with elements of our technology stack: Spark, MongoDB.
- Development experience on SaaS products hosted in AWS, Google Cloud, or similar
- Experience supporting or implementing behavioral analytics (security threats, fraud & abuse, bad actor identification, anomaly detection, user classification, prediction, etc.)
- Experience with limited after-hours support and incident management. We have a quarterly on-call rotation where engineers participate in tier-2 support.
- Portfolio showing open source code contributions or past work.
The Protenus healthcare compliance analytics platform uses artificial intelligence to audit every access to patient records for the nation’s leading health systems. Providing healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerting privacy, security and compliance teams to inappropriate activity, Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions. This year, Protenus was named one of The Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare and one of the Best Places to Work in Baltimore by the Baltimore Business Journal.
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Protenus is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Join our team to see how you can learn and grow with us.