ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest.
ProPublica, the nation’s leading nonprofit investigative newsroom, is in search of a full-stack Senior Product Developer to lead several key initiatives. This vital role serves to amplify ProPublica's mission — publishing journalism with real-world impact — by crafting scalable, efficient and user-centric products such as our main website, publishing system and newsletters.
We seek a candidate who believes in our mission and thrives in multifaceted roles, contributing both to the long-term product road map and to hands-on development. Your responsibilities will include shipping high-quality and resilient software, assessing new technologies, contributing to documentation and mentoring other developers.
As a pivotal member of our expanding, cross-functional Design & Product team, you'll work closely with colleagues across ProPublica’s newsroom and business operations, ensuring that our product strategies align and advance our organizational objectives.
- Leads the planning and technical execution of tools and product features that support ProPublica’s journalistic, audience and revenue goals.
- Collaborates with colleagues and stakeholders across the organization to understand their needs and translates them into actionable project briefs and high-quality code.
- Acts as the primary technical point of contact for one or more areas of relevant expertise, such as our publishing system, analytics dashboards or email newsletters.
- Builds tools and product features that showcase our journalism across platforms, including the web, email newsletters and third-party ecosystems such as Apple News.
- Evaluates new products and features, troubleshoots issues and proactively leads improvements that increase the performance, reliability and security of our products and publishing platforms.
- Provides guidance and mentorship to junior developers, helping document our coding standards and processes and ensuring best practices.
- Stays informed about industry trends, tools and platforms that can be leveraged to improve our newsroom’s digital capabilities.
Experience and Skills
- 5+ years working with popular back-end languages and frameworks, notably PHP, Python or Node.js.
- Experience working with AWS-based website infrastructure and tools.
- Comfortable with SQL and basic bash scripting.
- Familiarity with content management systems and templating languages such as Twig or Liquid.
- Familiarity with popular third-party analytics tools, such as Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
- Experience working in highly collaborative environments, with strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to support a cross-functional and growing team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
This job is full-time and includes benefits. ProPublica is headquartered in New York, but we have offices across the country and are open to fully remote candidates. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
The expected salary range for this position is $120,000 to $145,000.
This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience, accomplishment and location. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site. Questions? Send an email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.