Property Finder is the leading digital real estate platform in the Middle East and North Africa region. A UAE-born startup, Property Finder expanded its operations to Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt over the years. Recently, it acquired a significant stake in Zingat in Turkey. The company is one of the largest technology start-ups in the region and on a journey to becoming a Unicorn. We are aspiring to create a lighthouse technology company which will have a lasting impact in the entire tech ecosystem in our geography.
We are looking for an ambitious and proactive Legal Counsel with broad corporate and commercial legal experience, to be based in Cairo, who will work closely with our Egypt General Manager as well as directly with the General Counsel in further building the Property Finder Group legal function globally.
- Provide legal counsel and is accountable for legal matters relevant to a technology and media company serving the real estate sector in the MENA region, including policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, and laws including but not limited to employment law, contract law, corporate and commercial laws, data protection regulations, intellectual property, licensing, and corporate compliance.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues, and counsels stakeholders across the business in order to execute legal solutions, including but not limited to situations involving clients, public relations, financial risk or other significant risks, and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Drafts and reviews contracts, policies and procedures, bylaws, and other legal documents, including the legal research of issues and recommendations as necessary.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken, including data protection and intellectual property rights.
- Identifies and resolves complex legal issues requiring in-depth consideration of multiple factors.
- Provide clarification on legal language and/or legal issues to stakeholders in Egypt, and as required to stakeholders across the Property Finder organization.
- Supports the General Counsel with the planning and execution of legal assignments in Egypt and across the MENA region as needed.
- Manage ad hoc projects and/or tasks as assigned by General Counsel.
- Supervises legal work of outside counsel in Egypt.
- Provides training to internal stakeholders on various legal issues that may impact their functions of the business.
- Strong academics and legal qualification from recognized institutions.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients or internal business partners on corporate and commercial legal matters, including sales, marketing, consumer protection, data privacy, and other legal areas impacting online marketplaces or other online services and/or digital products.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high attention to detail.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to get the job done.
- A methodical approach to work with a strong focus on accuracy.
- Ability to assess legal, practical and business risks in a fast-paced environment and to manage multiple matters simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to accommodate tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to drive collaboration and enjoy sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
- Experience handling international commercial transactions, ideally in-house at an internet or technology company.
- Other languages are a plus, but not a requirement.