At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for Americans with limited income. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re looking for a Data Science Manager who is excited about building and managing a data science and analytics function that derives meaningful insights from our data, improves decision making, identifies opportunities, and builds a more successful business that optimizes how we serve our users! In this role, you’ll define what the right data function looks like for Propel at each stage of our growth while creating a culture of strong strategic data partnership with product, engineering, and other teams. You’ll manage three reports to start and continue to grow the team as necessary to execute against analytics and data science priorities.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Nyca Partners, Kleiner Perkins, Flourish Ventures, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We’re strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact on our team, product, and business
- An opportunity to work on a product used by millions of people
- A get-stuff-done, fun, and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote-first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $170-200K, depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you’ll do:
- Lead, coach and manage our Data team on the use of our data, creating leverage with a lean analytics team
- Ensure the Data team is proactive in asking and researching their own questions in line with business goals
- Establish goals and metrics to measure individual and team performance
- Build a strongly metrics- and data-driven culture where everyone on the team relies on quantitative analyses when identifying problems, discussing opportunities, or creating solutions
- Create self-service mechanisms for data analysis while keeping the reliability of data analysis high
- Partner with engineering to triage and fix data infrastructure priorities, architecture, and issues
- Manage high value analytics projects as needed, generating insights that inform our product strategy and roadmap
What you have:
- 8+ years of experience in a customer-facing data analyst or scientist role
- Successfully delivered end-to-end data research projects for a SaaS product, working through conflicting viewpoints, model intractability, and data limitations
- Strong programming skills in Python, R, SQL or Scala
- Experience hiring and leading experienced data scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
- Achievements in developing and leading a long-term research vision and portfolio of research initiatives
- Ability to communicate analytical results to senior leaders, and peers
- Background serving our customer segment and/or deep interest in learning about their problems and needs