At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for Americans with limited income. Over 5 million people use our app Providers, previously called Fresh EBT, to manage the benefits that keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of the Providers app here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
As the accounting manager, you will be the second hire in the finance function and will be responsible for building out and overseeing Propel’s accounting as we bring the entire function in house. You will report directly to the Director of Finance, with whom you'll be working closely to build out the processes for a robust finance function. You will also help the company prepare for and manage its first financial audit. In this role, you'll have the opportunity to support the building of a new function from the ground up!
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact by helping to shape our new and growing finance function!
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity)
- A remote first working environment with an HQ in Brooklyn, an office in Salt Lake City, and satellite WeWorks in San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 20 Days of PTO
- Matching 401k (100% of the first 4%)
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- FSA, HSA, Commuter Benefits + Gym Reimbursements
- Wellness support from Carrot Fertility, Ginger Mental Health, Headspace, One Medical, and Rightway
What you’ll do:
- Build and lead an efficient accounting function at a high-growth company
- Shape the direction and priorities of the Finance team as it continues to grow
- Oversee and manage processes related to general accounting, monthly financial close, financial operations, A/R, A/P, and tax compliance
- Prepare timely monthly financial reporting packages and interpret financial information for directors, shareholders and leadership
- Be the audit point-person, and manage relationships with our external auditors to facilitate completion of our first audit a timely and efficient manner
- Ensure the accounting function has the appropriate tech stack and internal processes to scale with the business, which may include vetting new vendors and making important decisions around the best direction to go
What you have:
- 5+ years of accounting experience, CPA preferred
- Deep knowledge of GAAP and extensive experience preparing, analyzing, and reviewing financial statements
- Experience shaping accounting policies and procedures for a growing startup
- Experience with managing a financial statement audit
- An understanding of advertising revenue and/or debit card revenue, preferred
- Experience with Quickbook online, preferred
- A ‘can-do-it’ attitude; no task is too big or too small
- Excited to work cross functionally, exhibiting strong communication, writing, and people skills
- Highly analytical, detail oriented, and holds their work product to a high standard
Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000 depending on experience.