At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.

We’re looking for a Director of Talent who is excited by the opportunity to lead a DEI centered recruiting system. Our Talent Director will lead and grow a skilled recruiting team, scale and improve recruiting processes using data, build a strong employer brand, and ensure a company-wide culture of inclusive and equitable recruiting practices that produce diverse teams. 

The right person for this role is knowledgeable about multiple verticals within talent acquisition and actively cultivates a sense of belonging and inclusion for their recruiting team. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to impact our team, our company, our product - and most importantly, millions of Americans with limited income across the United States. This role will report to our Head of People.

Propel is an 86 person company that is expecting to at least double in size by May 2023 and again by May 2024. We’ve built a foundation that champions an inclusive candidate experience and equitable recruiting system. Now, we’re looking for the right talent leader to take us to the next level, with the goal of enabling our teams to grow quickly and sustainably while continuing to promote diversity. 

Propel offers a unique opportunity to create social impact at scale. We're a for-profit company backed by some of Silicon Valley’s top investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and the Omidyar Network. If you’re looking to use your skills for social impact, come join us!

We offer:

• Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
  • A fun, get-stuff-done, and caring culture
  • Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
  • A remote first work environment with a dog friendly HQ in Brooklyn and satellite WeWorks in LA and SF

What you’ll do

• Lead, mentor, hire, and manage the recruiting team, driving the team to achieve results with a strong team identity based on vision, and ensuring company-wide alignment. Ensure recruiting resources are delivering positive value and adjust as needed
  • Design and implement full-cycle staffing and headcount planning, partnering closely with Propel’s function and executive leaders to achieve the best results
  • Own or support very senior, complex, and / or executive recs as needed, including negotiating senior-level or particularly intricate offers
  • Drive clarity around hiring needs and empower recruiters to prioritize and move quickly, by setting and supporting clear stretch goals for team and individuals based on both company objectives and individual strengths/opportunities
  • Promote and deliver on diverse and inclusive hiring and training practices, identifying creative approaches and implementing them across the team to ensure an equitable, fair, and effective interview process while crafting a high-quality candidate experience
  • Further develop and amplify the Propel employer brand in partnership with design, marketing, and the leadership team
  • Assess hiring process using both quantitative and qualitative data, identify, build, and implement plans for improvement
  • Act as a trusted advisor to senior leadership on recruiting-related matters. Serve as a subject matter expert on recruiting for people managers and vital team members across the organization

What you have

• 10+ years of recruiting experience, preferably in a high growth environment having scaled a team 10x
  • 4+ years of experience leading and managing a Talent Acquisition team of varying degrees of experience
  • A candidate-focused mentality and passion for crafting an A+ candidate experience with the ability to balance the needs of the recruiting team with those of the business
  • Outstanding structured communicator that can provide clarity on recruiting vision, strategy, and status to key partners including Leadership Team and Hiring Managers
  • Experience building out data systems from Greenhouse or other Applicant Tracking Systems to inform decisions; persistently looking at data to uncover business insights and drive decision-making
  • Creative ways to reach exceptional talent and develop talent pipeline strategy
  • Strong organization skills with a high level of attention to detail
  • Passion in working for a mission-driven company

We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the social safety net.

Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $180,000 - $200,000 depending on experience.

Apply for this Job

* Required

Demographic Questions
At Propel, we believe that an environment that is diverse, inclusive, and equitable drives us towards the best product and business decisions that allow us to effectively and consciously serve our mission and our users. As a social enterprise, we also recognize that caring about DEI is quite simply the right thing to do. 

The people that use our products are diverse in many ways - gender, age, race, sexual orientation, religion, disability status, and more. We explicitly aim to reflect that with our team composition, though we aren’t there yet. That’s why we are actively working to make sure our job descriptions are inclusive, our sourcing nets are widely cast, and our interview process is equitable and fair to all.

We particularly value those with lived experiences around financial hardship and safety net programs. While people from all backgrounds can contribute to Propel’s mission, we know that those who come from the communities we serve have an incredibly powerful and unique perspective.

Your responses will be used (in aggregate only) to help us identify areas of improvement in our process. Your responses will not be associated with your specific application and will not in any way be used in the hiring decision.
I identify my gender as:

I identify as transgender (select one): (Select one)

I identify my sexual orientation as:

I identify my ethnicity as (mark all that apply):

Veteran Status (select one):

I have a physical disability (select one): (Select one)

I am a caretaker of children (select one): (Select one)

How would you describe the socioeconomic background you grew up in?