At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app Providers, previously called FreshEBT, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.

The Policy and Partnerships Manager will be part of the Government and Public Partnerships Team at Propel.  In this role, you will communicate and partner with nonprofit and government partners.  Internally, you will communicate policy intricacies and represent the voice of government partners to inform business and product decision making. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is eager to be an external ambassador to public sector partners as well as work side-by-side with the product, engineering, business, and design teams to identify opportunities to improve the current service and build new features.

Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas. 

We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

We offer:

• An immediate opportunity to make an impact 
  • A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
  • Startup experience - you will be exposed to a broad set of functions and challenges
  • Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
  • A remote first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles
  • Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $145,000 depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!

What you’ll do:

• Develop deep, strong, and collaborative relationships to partner with government agencies, federal and state leaders, regional organizations and nonprofit coalition partners related to government benefits
  • Collaborate with research, business and product teams to synthesize findings, make connections, write talking points and draft material to share with external partners.
  • Regularly represent Propel and present to external stakeholders, including state and federal agencies and lawmakers and nonprofit coalition partners
  • Identify policy opportunities and track legislation related to government benefits at federal and state levels. Synthesize findings for internal and external partners.
  • Work closely with Propel’s technical staff to improve the interface between our technology and government. On a given day, you might investigate a bug, communicate with government partners, and advocate for how systems should be improved to better serve EBT cardholders

What you have:

• Top notch communicator -- excellent written and oral communications with senior-level partners
  • Superb attention to details -- when seeking precise information, you dive into the original text of the legislation and automatically double, and triple, check your work
  • Orientation to get stuff done -- you fight through ambiguity, learn new skills, and bias toward action with the ability to meet tight deadlines and shifting priorities 
  • Work cross functionally -- ability to context shift between policy details, stakeholder relationships, and product work
  • Humility -- you expect and want to learn from our users
  • Knowledge of, or excitement to learn, social safety net policy and program implementation details (e.g. SNAP, SSA, EITC, CTC) Preferred: experience working in or with administrative policy, experience with consumer software
  • 4+ years relevant experience; Masters considered but not required

Apply for this Job

* Required

Demographic Questions
At Propel, we believe that an environment that is diverse, inclusive, and equitable drives us towards the best product and business decisions that allow us to effectively and consciously serve our mission and our users. As a social enterprise, we also recognize that caring about DEI is quite simply the right thing to do. 

The people that use our products are diverse in many ways - gender, age, race, sexual orientation, religion, disability status, and more. We explicitly aim to reflect that with our team composition, though we aren’t there yet. That’s why we are actively working to make sure our job descriptions are inclusive, our sourcing nets are widely cast, and our interview process is equitable and fair to all.

We particularly value those with lived experiences around financial hardship and safety net programs. While people from all backgrounds can contribute to Propel’s mission, we know that those who come from the communities we serve have an incredibly powerful and unique perspective.

Your responses will be used (in aggregate only) to help us identify areas of improvement in our process. Your responses will not be associated with your specific application and will not in any way be used in the hiring decision.
I identify my gender as:

I identify as transgender (select one): (Select one)

I identify my sexual orientation as:

I identify my ethnicity as (mark all that apply):

Veteran Status (select one):

I have a physical disability (select one): (Select one)

I am a caretaker of children (select one): (Select one)

How would you describe the socioeconomic background you grew up in?