At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers (previously called Fresh EBT here, here, and here). Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re looking for a Senior Manager of Compliance, who is excited to lead compliance for the Providers card, to join our remote-friendly team! Our ideal candidate is an experienced leader who can strategize and execute simultaneously while building productive working relationships with key partners. This person will have the opportunity to build out the vision and team for our compliance function. This role is a fantastic opportunity to create change in the financial services landscape through influencing our strategy and operations.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- The opportunity to help scale a brand-new product
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (or the opportunity to work remotely!)
What you’ll do:
- Lead our compliance risk program by staying up-to-date on relevant regulations, identifying compliance risks, and establishing processes and procedures to mitigate risk.
- Support a collaborative relationship with our bank partner, legal partners, and government regulators to ensure we meet their standards and expectations.
- Educate Propel employees on compliance and regulatory risks, and idealize how to successfully innovate around these risks.
- Enable product and marketing teams by serving as a Subject Matter Expert on the core concerns driving various external regulations and rules
- Partner with key internal partners to brainstorm innovative solutions that enable us to provide the best customer experience at scale, while still maintaining the highest standard of regulatory oversight
- Onboard and manage vendor relationships with respect to compliance and regulatory risk
What you have:
- 4+ years experience in financial services with direct experience or exposure to checking accounts and debit products
- 3+ years in a managerial compliance role
- Expertise in relevant regulations, importantly Reg E, BSA, and UDAAP
- The ability to strategically handle big picture company goals
- Strong people management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Motivated to work in a startup fintech environment with a focus on building a new compliance program (rather than managing an existing program)
- A customer centric attitude