Prolific Machines is on a mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable agriculture. We believe that we have the only solution to make cultured meat at a price that is competitive with factory farming. We are looking for mission-driven, skilled, and kind people to help create the alternative we need to transition to a more sustainable and healthy future.
Diversity: We value diverse people, perspectives, and knowledge. To this end, we aim to foster a sense of belonging that enables everyone to bring their whole, authentic self to work everyday. We are committed to growing a diverse and inclusive team that encompasses all types of people. We believe this can only be achieved by acknowledging the ancestral, historic, and current systemic and communal inequities.
The head of Bioprocess Development will lead development of our mammalian cell production processes at the laboratory and pilot scales with the ultimate aim of scaling them up to achieve high-volume commercial manufacturing and profitability for Prolific Machines.
This position will report to the CTO but will work closely with their counterparts in the scientific research organization to optimize promising cell lines, media, and final product formulations towards scalable and cost-effective manufacturing of cultivated meat. As part of a broad technical organization tasked with commercializing Prolific Machine’s unique technology, the Head of BPD will collaborate with other scientist and engineering managers to set a comprehensive strategy for establishing the appropriate manufacturing infrastructure including engineering design and the demonstration of commercial-scale feasibility through process modeling.
The ideal candidate would have extensive experience in successfully scaling mammalian cell culture to high-volume manufacturing, as well as ability to manage and grow the Bioprocess Development team
- You will be responsible for the complete development and definition of our manufacturing processes based on laboratory and pilot-scale data including proof-of-concept demonstration. This would include:
- Oversight of execution of cell culture experiments with benchtop and pilot-scale bioreactor systems towards large-scale process and media optimization.
- Critical review of analyses and conclusions derived from experimental data.
- Process documentation and tech transfer.
- Introduction and qualification of analytical methods using laboratory instruments.
- Supplier selection and qualification.
- You will prepare frequent presentations to the Executive Committee on program and technology status.
- Your team will prepare supporting documentation for regulatory approval and tech transfer.
- You will be responsible for leading the Bioprocess Development group including mentorship of scientists and engineers towards sustained career growth, training, and management by objective.
- You will be in charge of cell culture and food formulation laboratories and a pilot plant. For this you will:
- Collaborate with the Head of Facilities on development infrastructure improvements.
- Establish operation and maintenance of bioreactors and associated equipment.
- Implement standard methods and operating procedures with appropriate training of staff.
- You will play a consultative role working with Bioprocess Engineering to:
- Conduct economic assessments including cost of goods (COG) estimation through the use of in silico process modeling to demonstrate commercial-scale feasibility
- Specify unit operations and process equipment that will support full-scale manufacturing production rates.
- You will build a strong network of suppliers and partners that enable Prolific Machines to secure a stable and cost-effective supply chain such as cell culture media and process equipment vendors, etc.
What you’ll bring:
- 10+ years of experience in scaling mammalian cell culture processes.
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g. biochemistry, molecular biology, chemical engineering) or the equivalent in extensive relevant experience in industry.
- Proven experience in successfully scaling a mammalian biomanufacturing process to scales beyond 1,000 liters.
- The ability to develop and present a compelling & comprehensive vision that is grounded in data, and enjoy building models that allow selecting the best strategy in a highly multidimensional solution space.
- Clarity in communication around the tradeoffs in scope, quality, time and (human) resources.
- Experience with optimization of growth media and conditions using first principles and supplemented with a Design-of-Experiment (DOE) approach.
- Extensive knowledge of bioprocessing technologies and equipment.
- Knowledge of data acquisition and analysis systems and advanced computations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly desirable: culture of primary cells such as skeletal muscle cells, fibroblasts, and adipocytes experience with cell imaging and characterization, medium/high throughput cell culture systems.
In addition, you recognize in yourself the following:
- You come with creative, cost-effective solutions to accelerate timelines. You know when to be flexible and when to be assertive and communicate what you know is right.
- You have an extensive network in - and knowledge of - the bioprocess supplier and bioprocess manufacturing engineering ecosystem. You have a strong data-driven approach to engineering.
- You combine a curious and open mind to innovative approaches with a knowledge of what works.
- You are hands-on and on top of the execution.
Salary Range: $180,000-$250,000
Location: The San Francisco Bay Area (Emeryville)
Compensation: Competitive salary (bi-weekly payments), stock options (subject to vesting), performance-based bonus, and free lunch every day!
Benefits: Outstanding Health, Vision & Dental Insurance (including full spouse coverage), at least one all-expense-paid team holiday per year, flexibility in schedule and unlimited vacation days.
Evaluation: In lieu of the traditional application process of a CV and cover letter, we would rather give you an opportunity to tell us about yourself on your own terms by answering the below three questions. How you answer these is up to you: in words (narrative or otherwise), video, or visually. However, we do ask that it is concise (e.g less than 200 words for written answers). If applying by video or visually please send your application to email@example.com.