At Prisma we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the software that powers large technology companies such as Twitter, Airbnb, and Facebook but want the challenges, freedom, and ownership of a young startup, then Prisma is the place for you.
During the course of the past year our bottom-up open source adoption strategy has produced exciting results. We have seen high levels of developer adoption and community growth, setting us on the path to become the dominant NodeJS ORM within 12 months.
We're excited to be growing engineering management at Prisma to better support our engineers and help our growing teams continue to deliver. Today, Prisma's engineering team consists of 25 engineers organized into four teams.
Teams at Prisma are organized to deliver end-to-end functionality around major components of our product: ORM client, ORM schema, Data Platform control plane, and Data Platform runtime. We build in TypeScript and Rust deployed to serverless and server-based cloud environments.
You could be a great fit if you are excited about an Engineering Manager role where you will be part of a management team that will create the process, structure, and environment to allow Prisma engineering to scale and the engineers here to do their best work.
What would you do at Prisma?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Client Team. This team owns the Query Engine (Rust) as well as the TypeScript client. Prisma’s success in becoming the default ORM in the TypeScript ecosystem depends on the Client Team’s dedication to a fantastic developer experience and its ability to balance new feature delivery with support of our developer community through bug fixes and other quality improvements. As an Engineering Manager at Prisma you will report to the VP of Engineering and lead a team of up to eight engineers.
You will be responsible for:
- People. Ensure that the members of your team have what they need to do great work. This includes feedback, opportunities to learn and be challenged, clarity on why their work matters and how it connects to our company-wide objectives. We believe that starting with the people is the way to build effective and healthy teams.
- Process. Help us evolve our development processes and technical practices. Lead team meetings to plan and prioritize work, run retrospectives to identify improvements, define policies to improve communication, collaboration, and quality.
- Delivery. Success for your team means predictable delivery of valuable high quality software at a sustainable pace. You will work closely with your Product Manager and Tech Lead to balance product initiatives and technical improvements.
We believe the right candidate for this position will meet quite a few of the criteria below. If you don't fit the description perfectly, we'd still love to hear from you.
- A track record for leading teams and developing engineers
- Previous experience as a software engineer in a team environment
- Applied knowledge of agile project and team management
- High aspiration for quality, balanced with pragmatism and a sense of purpose
- Focused on helping your team understand the why
- Experience shipping Open Source libraries
- You can communicate fluently in English and can express your thoughts clearly in writing.
- You enjoy working closely with your peers and proactively seek to help others.
- You seek feedback early and often and are not afraid to ask for help
Less important criteria:
- Deep technical skills. This is not a coding role, but your technical experience and judgement will help you guide your team.
- Experience with our technology stack: TypeScript and Rust
- Knowledge of databases (both SQL and NoSQL)
What's it like to work at Prisma?
You're likely to be a great fit for the team if you ...
- ... have an ownership mindset. As part of a young startup, you'll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
- ... stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
- ... be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity for large global impact working on one of the fastest growing open-source tools.
- We provide a Competitive Base Salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive Stock-Option Grants.
- 24 Days paid vacation per year.
- 4 Days paid Mental Health Days per year.
- 6 Weeks fully paid Sabbatical Leave after 3 years.
- 20 Weeks fully paid Parental Leave.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
- Generous Tech Budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
- Ergonomic Chair subsidy
- Access to your local co-working space.
We are a remote-first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We offer a generous relocation package if you would prefer to join us here in Berlin.
That being said, for the sake of maintaining an effective working relationship, we are restricted to hiring remote employees from a timezone band ranging from GMT-5 to GMT+3.
What is our hiring process like?
- Introductory Call with someone from the Talent Acquisition team.
- First Interview with the VP of Engineering
- Interview with Product Manager
- Interview with the Technical Lead
The above serves as a basic outline, we might choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
If you believe that this is the right position for you then please send your resume along with any supporting documentation or information to us via the link provided on this page. We typically respond within 7 business days.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.