At Prisma we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the software that power large technology companies such as Twitter, Airbnb and Facebook but want the challenges and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a job at Prisma might be for you.
With funding from top-tier Silicon Valley investors Amplify Partners and Kleiner Perkins we are a small distributed team working on making advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to all developers around the world.
We are focused on bottom-up adoption, and most of our software is open-source. We have a vibrant community on Slack and Github - with over 40,000 members on Slack - where we regularly engage with the Prisma community.
What would a Senior Technical Writer at Prisma do?
As a Senior Technical Writer, you will directly report to the VP of Product and develop content that developers will use to learn and make the most out of Prisma.
You will do that by acting as the spokesperson for our Documentation, organizing our process, contributing and maintaining our style guide, and collaborating with other Technical Writers of the team to support them.
Work will vary across documenting features, writing guides about approaches to access databases effectively to solve specific problems using Prisma, or coming up with code examples that illustrate how developers can be more successful in building their applications.
You will also collaborate with Product Managers, Product Designers, Developer Advocates, and Engineers to build an understanding of the initiatives we're pursuing, and the kind of learning materials which would make them more impactful.
You will be able to work fully remotely, using GitHub and Markdown extensively as writing and collaboration tools.
What are the requirements
We believe that the right person would have the following:
- Experience in structuring a writing practice by maintaining the process and supporting tools, along with coaching other Technical Writers
- In-depth understanding of what working with databases involves while building applications
- Ability to convey complex technical concepts in a concise way
- Taste for consistent writing, by adopting and evolving a style guide
- Good understanding and experience working with GitHub for collaboration (pull requests and reviews)
- 3+ years of proven experience writing about technical topics, whether this be blog posts, specs, or formal employment as a Technical Writer
The following would also be super helpful:
- Hands-on experience building applications or scripts involving a database
- Ability to build simple prototypes for testing features to better understand how they work (Node.js)
- Understanding of the JAMstack ecosystem (Next.js, Vercel, Netlify...)
What's it like to work at Prisma?
You are likely to be a great for the team if you:
...have an ownership mindset. As part of a small team, you'll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
...stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
...be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
We are a remote first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is entirely up to you! We offer generous relocation assistance if you prefer the latter.
What's in it for you
- The opportunity to take the lead on key strategic objectives of Prisma and to exercise outsize impact on the overall direction of the organisation
- Competitive compensation including a commensurate Stock Option Package
- 401K, or similar retirement funding for non-US residents
- Medical Cover, including Dental and Vision (or equivalent for non-US residents)
- A generous tech-budget to get you all the latest hardware and software that you need
- Twenty-four days paid time off
- Herman-Miller ergonomic chair to spruce up your home office
What is the process like?
Our recruitment process roughly follows the structure below:
- Introductory call with the Talent Acquisition Team
- First interview with our VP Product
- Technical Writing Assignment (we provide compensation for this)
- Second Interview with one of our Technical Writers
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply via our website, and include your LinkedIn profile (or Resume), writing samples, or anything else that you think might give us a good sense of who you are.
We will generally be in touch within 7 business days to let you know the outcome of your application.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.