The world is changing at an accelerating rate. But we cannot take in the information fast enough, let alone make sense of it. We are fundamentally limited by the speed at which we read and write — the speed of human thought. The challenges facing decision-makers today require a radically new technology.
Primer is at the forefront of the natural language processing revolution. Our artificial intelligence platform is capable of reading text at a rate of millions of documents per hour, extracting information and updating a knowledge graph of billions of entities. It is capable of answering natural language questions and generating the first draft of natural language analytical reports in seconds. Our mission is to empower our customers by vastly reducing the cost of curiosity. What once took days of research can happen instantly.
Our customers include some of the world’s largest corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies in the world. You can learn more about Primer's technology and the problems we solve at our blog, as well as in recent media coverage of our work.
As a Director of Engineering, you will lead and grow multiple teams with diverse skill sets to deliver world-class solutions to our customers. You will partner with product leadership to define vision and build roadmaps. Most importantly, you will engender and foster a strong sense of trust amongst a diverse, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists and ML experts. You will be responsible for adding new members to the team across disciplines, helping to bring them into the fold and getting them to success. You will ensure high quality product through rigorous approaches and processes, and in the spirit of the best current AI thinking. This role requires a breadth of expertise, an ability to learn quickly, and an eagerness to engage in collaboration across the company.
From your first day, you’ll drive vision and roadmaps across teams. You might…
- … collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Design, Research, Sales) to support a strategic and tactical tech roadmap that tackles business needs
- … inspire and guide, explaining technical concepts to nontechnical partners and business decision to the engineering team
- … provide mentorship and help both data scientists and engineers achieve things as a group that they didn't know they were capable of achieving
- … Interview a Principal SDE and a Data Science Engineering Intern, providing each with a new learning
- … evangelize Primer’s team and mission to customers
- … oversee the relevance, scalability, and reliability of your team’s production services
- … contribute to architecture and design efforts by serving as the technically savvy voice that asks the right business and product questions
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, computational linguistics, or other quantitative field.
- 8+ years of professional experience developing and deploying data and algorithm driven software products.
- 5+ years of managing teams of data scientists and engineers, and in sourcing candidates and hiring.
- Experience with machine learning and NLP algorithms, tools and libraries such as numpy, SpaCy, NLTK, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, pytorch.
- Specific experience with NLP tasks such as event and topic detection, relation extraction, summarization, entity recognition, document classification, multilingual NLP and knowledge base generation.
- Experience in distributed computing, preferably including working with AWS/Azure, the Elastic stack, and Kubernetes.
- Passionate about driving the performance of machine learning algorithms towards the state of the art, and in challenging us to continually improve what is possible.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams
- Excellent communication and leadership skills to lead and facilitate architecture reviews, tech talks, and external evangelism.
- Proven track record of creating and managing high performing teams with experience in Natural Language Processing, Information retrieval, Machine Learning, Deep Learning or similar technologies
- Demonstrated experience deploying and maintaining NLP/NLG algorithmic solutions; supporting hosted and on-premise solutions across multiple industries.
- Proven track record of guiding and growing the overall competence in the whole team via hiring and training
What We Offer
- A rapidly growing company, with plentiful opportunities to grow into leadership roles
- Healthcare with Dental
- 401K and Vision Benefits (US)
- Unlimited PTO (US) or 25 days Holiday (Non-US)
- Work from Home allowance
- Smart, passionate co-workers who want to deliver the best outcomes
- An honest and open environment for the exchange of ideas
- Fortune 50 companies and globally recognized institutions as customers
- Learning and teaching opportunities via individual book allowances, tech talks, and brown bag lunches
- Team virtual offsites like escape rooms and company happy hours
Primer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.