Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Prime is seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced senior scientist/senior engineer to drive mRNA drug substance process development and optimization, scale-up activities, technology transfer and oversight of clinical supplies manufacture. The successful candidate will play a lead role in the implementation of capabilities, development of robust and scalable processes to support various programs. The candidate will use innovative approaches to understand the critical process parameters and the impact on the quality attributes and stability of mRNA drug substance. The ideal candidate will be proactive, enthusiastic, collaborative, and have a desire to establish a scientific/engineering driven approach to enable manufacturing solutions for prime editing therapeutics.
- Develop and optimize the mRNA synthesis manufacturing process, focusing on establishing robust control strategies for the in-vitro transcription (IVT) reactions, starting materials, and process conditions
- Contribute to downstream process development for purification of mRNA
- Define critical process parameters and characterize the mRNA process
- Implement in process analytics to support understanding of IVT development
- Contribute to mRNA production to meet needs of Research programs, pre-clinical in vivo studies, IND enabling and GMP clinical supplies.
- Perform data analysis and interpretation, communicate conclusions and present data and findings to cross-functional teams and company-wide events.
- Collaborate with mRNA discovery team to develop next generation mRNA process
- Document all experimental planning and progress in electronic lab notebook; create and write reports and SOPs to support development, technology transfer, and regulatory filings
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures, assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality, including lab equipment maintenance and the ordering, and receiving of lab supplies
Qualifications & Experience
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related discipline; 3-5 years industry experience. Master’s degree with 5+ years of industrial experience. Strong background in bioprocess development of biologics, vaccines, nucleic acids (preferred).
- Proficient with enzymatic reactions, mixing
- Experience with UF/DF and chromatography purification a plus
- Experience with analytical characterization techniques such as HPLC/UPLC, TEM, DSC, UV-Vis and fluorescence spectrophotometry to support process development
- Familiarity with statistical design of experiments (DoE) and analysis
- Strong organizational skills and ability to deal with complex problem solving, flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and willingness to mentor junior scientists.
- Highly self-motivated, driven, can-do, make it happen attitude with ability to own and drive projects
- Strong collaborator with cross-functional teams and external partners
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Capable of continuous learning, open-minded, curious, highly organized and detail-oriented
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.