Prefect is the new standard in dataflow automation. Our remote-first company is singularly focused on this vision, and every team member directly contributes to its advancement. Every role solves a problem, and everyone can see exactly how their work helps achieve our mission.
To that end, we've carefully created a positive, high-performance culture - the operating system of our company - that empowers our team to do the best work of their careers and achieve their personal and professional aspirations.
We are looking for folks who want to join a remote-first team to build an equally amazing company and product. In deciding whether to apply for a role at Prefect, consider whether your values align with our values and standards and check out our top-of-the-line benefits and perks.
As a Senior Software Engineer (OSS), you will work on and lead projects with a focus on the Prefect 2.0 open-source application for workflow orchestration. As a member of this team, you will develop new features, patterns, and frameworks that advance and scale our Python library.
You will coordinate with internal stakeholders, including our CTO and CEO, on new features and help Prefect execute our company’s product roadmap. You will proactively identify opportunities for improvement, build consensus, track risks and dependencies, and lead projects to completion with a positive attitude.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Prefect, we expect you to be product-minded, think like a user, and directly support our users through various support channels.
You will report to Andrew (Engineering Manager).
Expectations (you will):
- Work with distributed web application architectures (services, messaging systems, event streams, and the like).
- Be responsible for owning open-source APIs to our orchestration platform.
- Be responsible for ensuring that our open-source engine is robust and compatible across a diverse set of deployment environments.
- Drive our open-source projects, engage with our community, and constantly seek to advance our internal user empathy by championing use cases.
- Help ensure our internal codebases remain well tested, easily extensible, and documented
- Lead a positive and high-performing culture and foster a collaborative working environment with other members of the engineering team
- Mentor members of the engineering team
- Self-start and embody ownership: contribute and advocate for your ideas, while ensuring execution
- Pay attention to the details — Prefect requires thinking through edge cases without losing sight of providing a simple user experience
Qualifications (you have):
- Experience working with Python, including asyncio, automated testing frameworks, concurrency, and ORMs
- Experience with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP — but not necessarily all of those!)
- Experience deploying and monitoring Kubernetes applications
- Experience delivering projects from inception to production
- Experience contributing to open-source projects
Bonus Points (we'd like you to have):
- Excellent judgment and analytical ability
- Knowledge of distributed computing frameworks in Python, such as Dask and Spark
- Experience in a start-up or high-growth environment
- Experience with data engineering and data science workflows
- … and an understanding of how and when to “break the mold” when the best practice for Prefect deviates from an industry standard
Sarah is a real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.