Prefect is the new standard in dataflow automation. Our remote-first company is singularly focused on this vision, and every team member directly contributes to its advancement. Every role solves a problem, and everyone can see exactly how their work helps achieve our mission.
To that end, we've carefully created a positive, high-performance culture - the operating system of our company - that empowers our team to do the best work of their careers and achieve their personal and professional aspirations.
We are looking for folks who want to join a remote-first team to build an equally amazing company and product. In deciding whether to apply for a role at Prefect, consider whether your values align with our values and standards and check out our top-of-the-line benefits and perks.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Distributed Systems at Prefect, you will work on and lead projects with a focus on the Prefect Core API for building, deploying and accomplishing user workflows. As a member of this team, you will develop new features, patterns and frameworks that advances and scales our Python library.
You will coordinate with the Prefect team, including our CTO and CEO, on new features and help Prefect accomplish our product roadmap. You will identify opportunities for improvement, resolve conflicts, track risks and dependencies, and champion successful outcomes. You will be a mentor and provide leadership to other members of the engineering team.
As a Prefect Software Engineer you are expected to be product-minded, think like a user, and directly support our users through multiple support channels.
You will report to our amazing Chief of Staff to the CTO, Kingsley.
Expectations (you will):
- Use your expertise of distributed systems in Python, such as Dask and Spark
- Oversee open source interfaces to our full orchestration platform
- Ensure that our open source engine is compatible across a diverse set of deployment environments
- Guide open source projects and engage with our community, and grow our internal user empathy by advocating for use cases
- Ensure our internal codebases remain well tested, easily extensible and documented
- Champion our culture and foster a collaborative working environment
- Mentor members of the engineering team
- Embody ownership: contribute and advocate for your ideas, while also preventing projects from failing
- Think through extreme edge cases without losing sight of providing a simple user experience
Qualifications (you have):
- 5+ years experience working with Python, including distributed systems, networking best practices, multithreading and multiprocessing
- Experience with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience deploying and monitoring scalable Kubernetes applications
- Experience delivering projects from creation to production
- Experience contributing to open source projects
Bonus Points (we'd like you to have):
- Experience in a startup
- Experience with data engineering and data science workflows
- … and an understanding of how and when to "break the mold" when the best practice for Prefect deviates from an industry standard
Sarah is an real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.
Prefect is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity/expression), national origin, disability or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.