In 2013, our founding team recognized the lack of smart terminals in the market, so we set about reimagining the ubiquitous payment terminal into a connected, multi-purpose device that runs third-party apps.
As smart terminals become mainstream, Poynt OS sets the standard as the open operating system that can power any smart payment terminal worldwide. Combined with our Apps ecosystem we are creating a new app economy for merchants and allowing developers to write once and distribute everywhere.
Fueling our growth are some of the Valley’s top VC firms and leading global payments and fintech companies including Elavon, Google Ventures, Matrix Partners, National Australia Bank, NYCA Partners, Oak HC/FT Partners, Stanford-StartX Fund, and Webb Investment Network. We’ve raised over $130M as of 2019.
Headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley in Palo Alto, CA, with offices in India and Singapore, we’re growing rapidly on a global scale so that merchants worldwide have the technology to transform their business.
About the role
In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team that delivers products and solutions to help scale the Poynt payment platform. You will work with the leadership and the product organization on strategy/roadmap, build and grow a world class team, work with architects to design scalable platforms and deliver projects on time. Additionally, you will be responsible for communicating plans to key internal/external stakeholders and managing change.
To be successful as a director of engineering, you should have exceptional leadership, technical depth, communication and project management skills. You should have years of management experience, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others. Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in international trends in engineering and leadership, and an above average emotional intelligence.
Director of Engineering Responsibilities:
- Join Poynt’s Engineering Leadership Team to help define company goals.
- Partner with teams and stakeholders throughout the company to understand user needs and deliver results that delight Poynt customers
- Mentor and coach the engineers on the team, helping them to develop as leaders
- Recruit, engage, and retain the best problem-solvers and collaborators with the idea to double the engineering team YoY.
- Build diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work
- Represent Poynt in industry events, and help promote the Poynt Engineering brand
- Guide employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior members while coaching senior contributors to maximize their potential
- Write performance evaluations, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans
- Create and build positive relationships with data and technology partners outside the company
- 7+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience leading engineering at a high-growth company
- Proven recruiting experience hiring engineers
- A proven history of shipping products with multi-functional teams
Nice to have:
- 3+ years experience in fin-tech / payments industry
- A track record of successful technical project leadership, engineering work at the senior level, and solving complex technical challenges at web-scale.
- Experience weighing difficult trade-offs and ability to share what you’ve learned from them
- Strong prioritization skills. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.