In 2013, our founding team recognized the lack of smart terminals in the market, so we set about reimagining the ubiquitous payment terminal into a connected, multi-purpose device that runs third-party apps.
As smart terminals become mainstream, Poynt OS sets the standard as the open operating system that can power any smart payment terminal worldwide. Combined with our Apps ecosystem we are creating a new app economy for merchants and allowing developers to write once and distribute everywhere.
Fueling our growth are some of the Valley’s top VC firms and leading global payments and fintech companies including Elavon, Google Ventures, Matrix Partners, National Australia Bank, NYCA Partners, Oak HC/FT Partners, Stanford-StartX Fund, and Webb Investment Network. We’ve raised over $130M as of 2019.
Headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley in Palo Alto, CA, with offices in India and Singapore, we’re growing rapidly on a global scale so that merchants worldwide have the technology to transform their business.
About the Role
As a Lead Android Engineer, Poynt Payments, you will create world class payment experiences for merchants and customer on Poynt Smart Terminals. These payment experiences will be used by both internal and external developers building apps on PoyntOS platform. You will Architect solutions and execution through hands-on development, quality-assurance, and prototyping. You will deliver code in an Agile software development using test-driven development methodologies, participate and promote architectural initiatives, balancing long-term velocity with short-term customer needs, and play an active role in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production release. Product will be a closer partner as you craft great product experiences.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, MIS, related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience developing Android Apps and Services
- Experience with Android UI design (including custom views)
- Experience writing Android clients for Web Services (REST, RPC, GraphQL, protobuf)
- Experience with Android Activities and Fragments
- Experience with multi-threaded development on Android platforms
- Firm understanding of Intents, Content Providers, Services, Broadcast Receivers, AsyncTask, Handlers, etc.
- Experience with SQLite on Android
- Proven experience with object-oriented design and design patterns
- Experience using Git
- Knowledge of JSON and XML parsing, and/or DOM traversal.
- Experience with native Android UI development for phones and tablets (multi-resolutions, resource utilization such as images, layouts, strings)
- Awareness of the Android UI/UX guidelines
- Experience with Bluetooth, NFC, Location and/or Accelerometer; other sensors
- Experience with Internationalization and Localization
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a plus
- Must have strong teamwork orientation and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs, and solutions