In 2013, our founding team recognized the lack of smart terminals in the market, so we set about reimagining the ubiquitous payment terminal into a connected, multi-purpose device that runs third-party apps.
As smart terminals become mainstream, Poynt OS sets the standard as the open operating system that can power any smart payment terminal worldwide. Combined with our Apps ecosystem we are creating a new app economy for merchants and allowing developers to write once and distribute everywhere.
Fueling our growth are some of the Valley’s top VC firms and leading global payments and fintech companies including Elavon, Google Ventures, Matrix Partners, National Australia Bank, NYCA Partners, Oak HC/FT Partners, Stanford-StartX Fund, and Webb Investment Network. We’ve raised over $130M as of 2019.
Headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley in Palo Alto, CA, with offices in India and Singapore, we’re growing rapidly on a global scale so that merchants worldwide have the technology to transform their business.
About the Role
At Poynt, our goal is to give our merchants superpowers to run every aspect of their business. Beyond just accepting payments on their Poynt terminal, we want them to leverage Poynt to improve their sales, to engage with their customers, and to make day-to-day operations as smooth as possible.
No matter where the merchant is located, no matter what industry they are in, no matter how many stores they have – we want them to have the best possible experience so they can focus on what matters most: growing their own business and making their employees and customers happy.
Our Full-Stack engineers build great web and mobile applications to make this happen: to help each of our partners – merchants, banks and resellers, and developers – succeed in the Poynt ecosystem.
As a software engineer at Poynt, you could work on:
- Poynt HQ, our merchant web portal and analytics engine where they can see business insights, manage their product catalog, and engage with their customers in new ways through chat, loyalty programs, and omnichannel commerce. We optimize merchant products for how much they love them – with beautiful UI, consumer-friendly UX, and a fast iteration cycle building and testing Minimum Viable Products.
- Mission Control, an enterprise application used by our bank and reseller partners, developer partners, and large merchants to manage a large number of stores and a whole fleet of payment terminals. This is the B2B side of our web product, and important factors are optimal information density, useful data visualizations, and a strong user permissions model.
- Web apps that run on the Poynt terminal to let merchants perform many important functions: manually enter a card number to take phone or online orders, update their product catalog on the fly, and order paper rolls and other accessories. Both fast iteration and fast load times are crucial for these apps, and so we spend time on our build toolchain, asset pipeline, and caching layer.
- A large number of internal tools for Poynt people and our Customer Success team to support our merchants and partners: mechanisms to surface issues and aggregate data in real-time, to evaluate the reliability of new OS and app builds during staged rollouts, and to make the support experience as smooth as possible through live chat and remote control of deployed Poynt terminals.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience building highly performant Node.js backend applications.
- Experience building performant, responsive interfaces with at least one modern web framework: React or Ember.js preferred.
- A passion for great UX, attention to detail, and an empathy for the customer experience.
- A high bar for code quality, and an interest in building toolchains that make building, testing, and releasing web application code as efficient as possible.