About the role:
As an Engineer you will join one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams, you’ll be working closely with fellow developers, designers, and other team members. Our teams are self-organising, with the freedom to define their own ways of working.
At Potato we’re not married to any single technology. We aim to strike a balance between leveraging our existing strengths and exploring new tech. While this listing focusses on Flutter, we try to avoid silos: our developers are encouraged to contribute to any part of a system they’d like to.
We’re looking for a Flutter developer, ideally with some experience of Python or Unity, to help our team develop counterpart software for a brand new medical device. You’ll be joining an existing team to help accelerate our development towards a large-scale release. Knowledge of APIs or gRPC interfaces would be a bonus.
We expect developers at Potato to be able to find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software. For this role, we’re looking for someone capable of supporting, guiding and empowering teams to produce excellent software.
We’re looking for someone who writes great code, but also enjoys collaborating with other disciplines in the product team to devise creative solutions to the users’ needs.
You will be accountable for:
- Write idiomatic, performant and maintainable code
- Find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software
- Strike the right balance between perfection and delivery
- Work in a friendly, self-organising, cross-functional, Agile product team
- Support other Engineers within the team
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines such as Designers and Product Leads
You must have:
- Proven experience building mobile applications using Flutter for both Android, and iOS
- Experience using modern development tools (e.g. Git, Jira, Bitbucket, GitLab or GitHub etc.) within a development team
- Excellent teamwork, and written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using Python to build web services
- Knowledge of Accessibility best practices
- Experience building mobile interfaces for multiple languages
- High-level knowledge of game engines such as Unity
- Experience using or building gRPC interfaces
- Experience launching high-quality digital products
- An understanding of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them
- Experience building for performance and accessibility
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Appreciation of backend considerations such as API design
- Knowledge of testing, QA tools and methodologies
Working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best engineers, designers and product leads in town, we’ll give you the freedom to manage your own work and trust you to get things done. Want to work from home occasionally? Go for it. Need to unwind with a game of pool? All good. Ultimately, we just want to make sure that you have everything you need to help us build the best products possible.
You’ll have many opportunities for growth and learning: collaboration within teams, rotation to different products, experimentation on internal tools, involvement in new business and pitching, our Potato Talks events, mentorship, training courses, and conferences.
We want to make our hiring as inclusive as possible, this job description has been reviewed by a range of employees and has passed a neutral language check. We have also reviewed our hiring process to make sure it offers flexibility to candidates that need it.
We're trying to do better and would love your feedback. If you think there's anything we could improve, or places you think we should advertise, then please let us know.
Location: We welcome remote applications within the UK. We already have people in London, Bristol, Leeds, Portsmouth, and Bury St Edmunds.