We are currently looking for a new Engineering Manager to join our US team to deliver complex web applications. You will be developing high-profile digital products for well-known clients while working within a supportive, cross-discipline product team.
About the role:
As an Engineering Manager, your main focus is guiding the engineering team, project work, working closely with designers, coaches, product leads, coding, and mentoring other members of the Engineering team. You will be the assigned team representative from the ngineering team. About half the time is team management and the other half is hands-on coding alongside your team.
You will join one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams, working closely with fellow developers, designers, and other team members. Our teams are self-organizing, with the freedom to define their own ways of working.
We expect developers at Potato to be able to find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, while also finding opportunities to optimize and simplify software. For this role, we’re looking for someone capable of supporting your team of fellow engineers, while guiding and empowering the team to produce excellent software, striking the right balance between perfection and delivery.
We’re looking for someone who can manage but also writes great code. The right person will enjoy collaborating with other disciplines in the product team to devise creative solutions to the users’ needs. For this role, you should have an appreciation of the full web stack, as well as an appreciation of current trends in both backend and frontend web technologies.
You will be accountable for:
- Writing idiomatic, performant and maintainable code using Angular
- Managing, mentoring and representing the Engineering team
- Finding creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimize and simplify software
- Striking the right balance between perfection and delivery
- Working in a friendly, self-organizing, cross-functional, Agile product team
- Supporting other Engineers within the team
- Collaborating closely with other disciplines such as Designers and Product Leads
You must have:
- 8 years overall in software engineering, mostly on the client side, with at least
- 3-4 years managing an engineering team and ease representing a team with external clients
- Experience using modern development tools (e.g. Git, GitLab or GitHub etc.) within a development team
- Excellent teamwork, and written and verbal communication skills
- A great track record of being proactive, resourceful in learning new things, and biased towards action
- Experience using CSS preprocessors (SASS, PostCSS, etc.)
- Familiarity with backend Python frameworks such as Flask, Django or FastAPI
- Experience creating secure and well-designed APIs
- An understanding of both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with Google App Engine or a similar PaaS
- An understanding of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them
- Experience using reactive programming patterns
- Experience building for scale: high traffic, big data, large feature sets
- Experience building for performance and accessibility
- Knowledge of testing, QA tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
Working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best engineers, designers and product leads in town, we’ll give you the freedom to manage your own work and trust you to get things done. Ultimately, we just want to make sure that you have everything you need to help us build the best products possible.
You’ll have many opportunities for growth and learning: collaboration within teams, rotation to different products, experimentation on internal tools, involvement in new business and pitching, our Potato Talks events, mentorship, training courses, and conferences.
We want to make our hiring as inclusive as possible, this job description has been reviewed by a range of employees and has passed a neutral language check. We have also reviewed our hiring process to make sure it offers flexibility to candidates that need it.
We're trying to do better and would love your feedback. If you think there's anything we could improve, or places you think we should advertise, then please let us know.
We welcome remote applicants within the United States.
A bit more about us:
We’ve won some of the industry’s most well-recognized creative awards such as Cannes Lions and Clios, and our people are regularly named within leagues such as the BIMA 100. In the past 12 months, more than a billion people globally have used a product created by Potato.
We also work hard to be a great employer - a place where our people are proud to work. In 2021, we were officially recognized as a Best Company to Work For, named within the Top 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.