WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 80% of US households with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
- Advance Postmates’ civic identity through innovative public policy approaches, partnerships and public affairs strategies on the future of work, urban development, economic opportunity, robotics, and other policy areas.
- Develop key relationships with state and local organizations, trade associations, and nonprofits to be a better partner in the communities that Postmates serves.
- Guide internal business regulatory and policy compliance by providing regularized updates to executive teams and product leads.
- Engage in thought leadership on issues that intersect with Postmates’ policy goals.
- Support the implementation of Postmates’ policy priorities by mapping stakeholders at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Build regional campaign strategies in untapped areas across the US.
- Build proactive and reactive regional campaign strategies for portions of the United States where Postmates has not traditionally invested.
- Build trusted relationships with various business, trade associations, and government stakeholders to foster consensus and build action plans.
- In tandem with our communications team, drive creation of public affairs campaigns to generate media interest across a range of issues including economic empowerment, sustainability, and social good.
- Conduct research, writing, and other collaborative activities as necessary to ensure that high stakes business decisions are informed by current regulatory regimes.
- Manage policy development processes to ensure our legislative and regulatory advocacy work supports the future growth of the business across markets.
- Work with multiple stakeholders across the organization to support key Postmates objectives -- by leveraging, shaping and better articulating the brand across all channels and projects.
- At least 8+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business, non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context.Degree or advanced degree level in a related field.
- Direct government relations experience with State Legislators; Mayors and City Council Members. Multiple jurisdictions, including Washington State, California, Texas, and Florida.
- Direct policy experience in the following fields: labor & workforce; employment law; privacy; tax; smart cities; robotics and emerging technologies; data; climate sustainability; immigration; e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and package top notch content on rapid deadlines.
- 2 or more years of on the record experience, earning media coverage across markets.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing, and ability to influence people and manage issues effectively with little input or direction.
- Unrivaled verbal communications skills with the ability to diplomatically advance a position with senior executives and customers of all stripes.
- Eccentricity required — you are not afraid to create new things and think differently. In fact, you kind of live for that. Candidates with nontraditional backgrounds encouraged to apply.
- Scrap factor: You are great at making tough, fast decisions based on business objectives.
- Passion for Postmates and a sense of humor, preferred. OK, required.
OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- J.D. preferred but not necessary.
- Media and strategic campaign planning experience.
- A mix of public, nonprofit, and private sector experience is an advantage. We value an understanding of incentives and goals that drive various organizations.
- Experience with municipal and statewide government stakeholders across the West Coast and Southern states desired.
- Experience with tax, privacy, and complex labor and workforce issues preferred.