WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 3500+ cities with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates is seeking a Director of Business Risk and Insurance that will drive the overall insurance program including the placement of all insurance policies, build and manage the insurance brokerage relationships, monitor the risk budget, and train and mentor the risk management team. The successful candidate will be a thought leader with a proven record of leading a team managing a diverse set of global risks. The successful candidate will have had experience driving complex projects across multiple locations and functions. They need to be hands-on as well as strategic, able to manage daily operations while foreseeing and planning for the company's future needs. This full-time position is located in our San Francisco headquarters and will report to the Treasury Lead.
- Evaluate the company’s corporate risks, including auto, occupational accident, cyber, errors & omissions, property, casualty, executive protection, and cargo
- Lead all aspects of insurance program placement and renewals including deductible/limit selection based upon economics and business needs
- Manage the operational insurance budget
- Build and manage the global insurance brokerage relationship(s)
- Oversee the feasibility of a captive insurance program and potential implementation
- Partner closely with internal stakeholders, brokers, administrators and underwriters
- Oversee all components of contract review (process/templates/pre-approved modifications/training)
- Closely monitor and manage economic losses to the company and underwriters, incorporating this data into risk transfer framework
- Collaborate with product teams to evaluate risks and guide operational decisions
- Communicate company’s insurance strategy internally with senior management, board members, and public policy
- Continually focus on process improvement, increasing our ability to scale and leverage our team and infrastructure
- Lead, coach, and develop individuals within the risk management team
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in business risk and insurance management, insurance operations, or in an insurance-related field
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or related discipline
- Experience forming and operating a captive insurance, and experience with alternative risk transfer techniques
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to influence others and create results without reporting relationships
- Experience with actuarial analysis and GAAP accounting topics in risk and insurance
- Experience building collaborative relationships with stakeholders from across the company
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced team environment while maintaining aggressive deadlines
- Knowledge and experience with insurance economics and underwriting business model
OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior experience working in a gig economy company
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with:
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan.
- Access to the Postmates 401(k) plan.
- 100% coverage for employees medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 95% coverage for dependents medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for qualified out-of-pocket health care costs.
- Flexible time off policy under which Postmates will not limit paid time off for vacations or to handle personal affairs. (Salaried US Employees)
- 16 days paid time off and 7 days paid sick leave (Hourly US Employees; amount of paid sick leave depends on state).
- 3 days paid time to volunteer through CivicLabs and positively impact the communities we serve.
- Generous parental leave including flexible transition plans, Postmates meal credit, and subsidized access to the Milk Store, Urban Sitter, and Concern.
- Free and confidential counseling resources through an Employee Assistance Program.
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits for parking or transit fees.
- A free subscription to Postmates Unlimited.
- Catered lunches, open snack bar, and subsidized Postmates Pickup meals.