Postmates runs one of the largest real-time delivery fleets in the country. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates isn’t just another ad platform or mobile app for delivering static user-generated content: We have real customers paying real money for a real service, all in minutes.
Postmates collects a tremendous amount of data about those deliveries. And we view that data to be core to our product roadmap and business processes.
As a Software Engineer on our Data Infrastructure team, you will be part of an early team that builds the event/data transport, collection, and storage layer. You will shape the vision for existing and new systems that will have a critical impact on all our data pipelines, support our Applied Machine Learning team, and help transition all Postmates services to an event-driven model. The systems built in this team will help build data-driven products that match our millions of customers to couriers in near real-time.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build and operate large scale data infrastructure systems across all environments to store, aggregate and process large amounts of data.
- Implement various ETL infrastructures and guidelines on how to most effectively build and maintain them for reporting, analytics and product features.
- Write maintainable and self-documenting code, perform code reviews
- Build a data platform-as-a-service for internal consumers, operating on open-source technologies on AWS and GCP
- Serve in the on-call rotation to make sure our data infrastructure is highly available to all internal customers
What you bring:
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience building on, deploying and maintaining open-source data infrastructure systems (HDFS, Spark, ZooKeeper, Druid, etc.) in production environments
- Experience with various types of data sources including relational stores such as MySQL, PostgresSQL and NoSQL data stores such as Cassandra or MongoDB and in-memory stores like Redis or Memcache.
- Understanding of distributed systems and principles (consistency, durability, resilience, consensus)
- Experience working with cloud-native infrastructure on the public cloud (we operate on GCP and AWS)
- Ability to declare and work with infrastructure-as-code (all our infrastructure is defined in Terraform or Deployment manager)
- Ability to write clean and maintainable code (our codebases are in Python, Go, Erlang, and Java)
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long-term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Tasty, healthy lunches and snacks (mostly healthy, but very tasty)
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)