Postmates is on a mission to help people unlock the best of their communities -- and their lives, with an insanely reliable on-demand “anything” network. We were the first and still are the leading company in the on-demand space -- with a fleet of over 300,000 Postmates, the largest network of merchants in the U.S., and a brand that has become a verb in popular culture. We’re looking for people who aren’t afraid to be first -- who see the whole landscape and think outside the box and who are passionate about creating the new, “new.”
We are looking for a Policy Communications and Partnerships Manager. This position will help lead the company’s overall public policy and government relations strategy, while elevating our policy leadership on a range of topics including the future of work, next-generation technologies, government regulation, taxes, immigration and legal matters.
We are a high energy team with a passion for people, culture, great storytelling, and innovative policy-making and regulation that shapes the future of work. The ideal candidate must be a team player, a sharp writer, and savvy in building trust with external and internal stakeholders. You must be responsive and confident in capturing the attention of journalists when highlighting consumer-facing elements of the brand; and you must bring empathy and creative support to communicating the public policy positions of the company. We are looking for an effective and creative leader who has the ability to explain complex ideas in simple ways and can laugh at themselves at the same time.
- Work with the Public Policy team to strategize about messaging and how to convey the company’s position on complex regulatory & policy issues in new ways to policymakers, the media, academic institutions, think tanks, worker advocacy organizations and other partners.
- Support the implementation of Postmates’ policy priorities by mapping stakeholders at the local, state, and federal level, and designing messaging campaigns across tier one media markets.
- Drive creation of projects that will generate media interest across a range of issues including economic empowerment, future of work, small business growth, sustainability, and social good.
- Create strategic plans and calendars for partner activations that support policy and CSR goals in close coordination with social impact arm of the company, Postmates Civic Labs.
- Manage nonprofit and private partner relationships through regular updates and collaborations.
- Work with multiple stakeholders across the organization to support key Company objectives -- by leveraging, shaping and better articulating the brand across all channels and projects.
- At least 6+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization--or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. A mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage. Experience with complex labor and workforce issues preferred.
- Direct communications experience with media, press, reporters, and in public fora.
- Degree or advanced degree level in a related field.
- Experience interacting with elected officials at all levels of government.
- Direct policy experience, preferable in the following fields: labor & workforce; employment law; tax; smart cities; robotics and emerging technologies; data; climate sustainability; immigration; e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and package top notch content on rapid deadlines.
- 5 or more years of on-the-record experience, earning media coverage across markets.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing goals, and ability to influence people and manage issues effectively with little input or direction.
- Media and strategic campaign planning experience preferred.
- Fearless eccentricity required — you are not afraid to create new things and think differently. In fact, you kind of live for that.
- Scrap factor: You are great at making tough, fast decisions based on business objectives.
- Passion for Postmates and a sense of humor, preferred. Ok, required.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (to stay aligned with the long term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance,100% paid for by the company
- Tasty, healthy lunches
- Snack-filled kitchen (mostly healthy, but very tasty)
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Killer office in San Francisco close to mass transit