Why compromise? Finally an opportunity that your engineering heart, your career, your mentor and your family can be excited about at the same time! Yes, a job that has it all, i.e., explosive growth, ground-floor architecture, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter and a cool vision that you can boast about.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
It's challenging to operate the explosively growing Postmates marketplace efficiently, and it’s impossible without the most advanced technology. The Operations Technology team builds mission-critical products and platforms that automate and scale operations at Postmates, including but not limited to order placements, workforce management, strategic initiatives, etc. We develop high-quality and scalable systems, including beautiful frontend UI using latest web technologies, distributed backend interconnecting with other Postmates microservices, AI applications like bot. We constantly push the limit of technology to make the next operation on Postmates more efficient and reliable.
What will you do?
As an experienced software engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects of product development. This not only includes design & coding of new architecture and services, but also helping define the strategic direction for such systems. We are building the systems from ground up, so we are not tied to any one technology. Helping select the right technologies and envisioning a long-term architecture is part of the role. So is working with multiple internal and external distributed services. Finally, this being a new team, you’ll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in building impactful and technically complex software systems
- Top notch coding skills in Python/Go/Java/C++/C# coupled with strong base in OOA/OOD, SOA/Microservices and data modeling skills
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of systems, software, and processes through analysis and metrics.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
- Proven experience in building large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software systems
- Extensive experience in building web, mobile and/or NLP applications