We're a community of designers, engineers, and product managers who are passionate about building quality software. Our environment is collaborative and relaxed, and as a result we build products that are well considered and well architected.
We're hiring talented Full Stack Engineers who want to build ambitious products using modern tools. "Full Stack Engineer" can mean many things. At Postlight, it refers to a person who can build entire front end web applications and deploy complex services to the cloud that support those applications.
We ship, and we ship often. Millions of people use our products, and we support them for years. As a result, we care deeply about code quality. The thought process behind a line of code is just as important as the line itself. We review pull requests and love having discussions about how solutions can be made simpler, clearer, and safer.
We use the right tools for the job. That means that we're always evaluating ways to work smarter and faster and get the maximum amount of joy out of the job. The result is that we use modern tools on a modern stack.
What makes a senior full stack engineer?
- 4+ years of experience
- Deep knowledge of particular libraries and frameworks, e.g. React or Node.
- Passionate about technology and desire to share knowledge with the company on Slack and lightning talks.
- Identify technical debt and risks in a project.
- Help make product choices by giving clear technical and level-of-effort assessments
- Produce a high volume of output when necessary; be heads-down and results-focused.
- Mentor other engineers and non-technical colleagues.
Below are two types of applications we build frequently: a modern frontend application and a modern backend API. We’ve listed example technologies we use for each part of the stack. The more apps you’ve built using the technologies below, the better fit you are for Postlight. We don't expect applicants to have experience with every technology below. Many of our current full stack engineers have learned skills from this list on the job.
- Linting and style: ESLint and Prettier
- Frameworks: React, React Native
- CSS: Flexbox, PostCSS, CSS in JS (Emotion and more), Functional CSS (Tailwind)
- Best Practices: Modern bundling techniques, performance, security
- Graphics: SVG, D3
Modern Backend API
- API Design: GraphQL, JSON API
- Frameworks: Postgraphile, Serverless, Apollo GraphQL, Hasura, Phoenix, WordPress
- Containerization: Docker
- Data Storage: Postgres, MySQL, NoSQL, Firebase, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Cloud Providers: AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Heroku
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Pulumi
Postlight has an office in Dbayeh, Lebanon that overlooks the Dbayeh Highway. We also have a flexible work from home policy. At the office, we provide snacks, drinks, and team lunches on Wednesdays.
You’ll receive a top of the line MacBook Pro when you start at Postlight. Postlight is a NYC-based company which means you will be getting paid directly from the USA with “fresh money.” We fly everyone to NYC twice a year to meet face-to-face.
Whether working on site or remotely, your communication skills will be as important as your technical ones. Collaborating across time zones requires constant, clear communication and coordination, via Slack, GitHub comments, documents, and frequent video conferences. Postlight is headquartered in New York City, but a third of our team works remotely. We know how to keep everyone on the same page, and so should you.
Your skill set will grow at Postlight. You will join a team excited about the problems they solve and the tools they use to solve them. We keep pace with the industry, and are active participants in the open-source world. You will find yourself regularly growing in your career, using new tools and frameworks to solve new kinds of problems—with support from management and mentors.
Postlight is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.