Populus is a mission-driven company that is shaping the future of cities. Our platform empowers cities to manage their streets and curbs — with access to mobility data from shared scooters, cars, and delivery services — to deliver a safer, more sustainable transportation future. Today, we serve over 100 cities around the world on 4 continents, as the trusted digital platform to manage the future of mobility.
About the Role
This is an opportunity to be a business partner to the CEO and integral executive leader at an innovative, fast-growing, mission-based company. You will be working closely with the CEO and the executive team to set the direction for the company’s finance organization, operations, and long-term growth. This is a strategic role, with the ability to roll up your sleeves as needed.
About the Job
Strategy & Operations
- Partner with the CEO to define company strategy and oversee internal operations including finance, legal, and HR.
- Work with the team to define and measure KPIs for each aspect of the business.
- Co-create strategy with executive team to manage costs and accelerate revenue.
- Communicate alongside CEO regularly with the board on progress, opportunities, and risks.
- Develop and execute the company's financial strategy.
- Drive the annual and quarterly planning processes to support major business decisions and overall financial health of the company accounting for growth projections, variances, and function-specific budgets.
- Prepare and present financial forecasts, budgets, and reports to the executive team and board of directors.
- Oversee accounting, finance, and treasury vendors, ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Oversee and sign off on monthly bookkeeping and reconciliation.
- Implement and maintain robust financial controls, policies, and procedures.
- Manage cash flow, working capital, and financial risk effectively.
Fundraising and Investor Relations:
- Partner with the CEO on fundraising efforts, including venture capital, debt financing, and grant applications.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with investors and provide regular updates on financial performance.
Financial Analysis and Decision Support:
- Conduct financial analysis, scenario modeling, and risk assessments to support strategic decision-making.
- Provide insights and recommendations to optimize revenue, profitability, and cost management.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with departmental leaders to ensure department performance align with long-term strategic plans and financial metrics.
Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure compliance with all relevant financial regulations and reporting requirements.
- Oversee tax planning and strategy, working closely with external partners as needed.
Financial Technology and Systems:
- Evaluate, select, and implement financial systems and tools to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Stay updated on industry best practices and emerging financial technologies.
You will be working in a highly dynamic environment, and your position will include a broad range of responsibilities.
- Proven experience as a strategic CFO or senior financial executive in a high growth SaaS startup environment.
- Mastery of GAAP financials and SaaS metrics and revenue recognition
- Strong strategic analysis experience
- Proficiency in financial software and tools.
- Experience with fundraising, investor relations, and financial modeling.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to balance long-term vision with short-term operational needs.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Populus is an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve. Populus prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Populus’ salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The ranges reflect the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for this position across all US locations; however, Populus has an office first philosophy and reserves the higher end of the range for employees that are based in the Bay Area and commuting to the office on a regular basis. Unless stated otherwise, Populus will prioritize hires who are able to work in the San Francisco office three days per week.
Within this range, individual pay is determined by location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education/training. Only in truly rare circumstances where a candidate has experience or expertise that far exceed the basic requirements for this position would Populus consider paying a base salary rate at the upper end of the range. Your contact at Populus can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation ranges reflect the base salary only and do not include the value of bonuses, stock options, or benefits.