Engineering Project Manager
PopSockets LLC, based in Boulder, Colorado, designs, manufactures and sells innovative lifestyle products. Our flagship product, the PopSockets grip—a collapsible grip and stand that provides secure one-handed holding for any mobile device—was invented by philosophy professor David Barnett, with the first grip sold on PopSockets.com in 2014 and the 100 millionth sold in 2018. PopSockets products embody the company's mission to create empowering, personal, and fun products.
PopSockets was named one of the Best Places to Work in Colorado in 2018 and also listed as Inc. 5000's second fastest growing company in the US, with a 71,424% percent of sales increase over the last three years.
An Engineering Project Manager (EPM) at PopSockets manages the most challenging projects through the design and development process. This individual must have a solid understanding of product development, be able to handle multiple projects, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. The EPM manages communications within and between departments as well as with external overseas suppliers. Tenacity and ability to extract timely and clear project scopes so the team can execute to the master schedule is critical to successfully bringing our products to market. The EPM should be a strong leader, a good decision maker, self-driven, detail oriented and highly organized. This position is in our San Francisco studio and works closely with our headquarters in Boulder, CO.
- Ensure the team has clear project scopes to execute against and escalate swiftly when project diverges and re-alignment is necessary
- Facilitate communication between stakeholders across departments to ensure that projects are achieving company-wide goals
- Partner with Design & Development managers to create budgets and schedules, then navigates the team to deliver to those goals.
- Partner with Design & Development managers to ensure projects are properly resourced
- 100% ownership of high-level milestones, and total understanding of how to lead the team to the finish line
- Highlight critical paths, proactively identify risks, and develop mitigation plans when necessary.
- Able to determine priority across programs, able to discern and guide the team to accomplish higher value requests over lower impact ones
- Timely and accurate creation of new item set ups, BOM creation, ECRs using our PLM system (Arena)
- Ownership of vendor relationships from Ideation through Design Lock
- Manages the release of technical documentation as needed for DFM and tool builds
- Travel as necessary to support the team and schedule as necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree, Engineering/Design/Science preferred
- 5+ years of project or program management experience, preferably in high-volume consumer goods, consumer electronics, or accessories
- Highly confident and effective communicator (verbal and written)
- Superior time management skills, ability to set and juggle priorities, react to changes with a positive and can-do attitude
- Past track record of shipping consumer products a plus
- Experience in communicating directly with factories and/or internal manufacturing teams
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personalities and disciplines
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally