Pomelo is on a mission to improve the lives of immigrants and their loved ones abroad by extending the U.S. credit system internationally. We are proud to be the first fintech company to combine international money transfer and credit, making money transfers refreshingly free, fast, and secure.
As an early-stage start-up, we are building a product that rethinks what money transfer can do for people, existing at the intersection of family, personal finance, consumer credit, and global remittances.
We’re a team of ~30 and are growing our San Francisco headquarters. Our investors include Keith Rabois of Founders Fund (CEO at Opendoor, former COO of Square), Kevin Hartz (Co-founder/CEO of Xoom), The Chainsmokers, The Weeknd, and more.
As Pomelo's first Accounting hire, you will have the unique opportunity to impact Pomelo's growth trajectory by ensuring that quality financial operation is created to drive business operations. Reporting to the CFO, you will be a pioneering member of the team with broad responsibility in building accounting processes and controls to enhance financial reporting. The ideal candidate aspires to grow with Pomelo and is willing to provide support to all areas of the business whenever needed.
- Lead the monthly/annual close processes, including preparation and/or review of journal entries, account reconciliations, financial statements, and various financial analyses to deliver timely, accurate, and insightful reporting in compliance with GAAP
- Prepare technical accounting memos for complex accounting issues
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls and ensure compliance with professional standards, and audit and regulatory requirements
- Manage accounts payable process, including approving of vendor bills and timely payments
- Collaborate with FP&A for monitoring of budget and preparation of budget to actuals
- Be responsible for all general ledger activities globally for an exciting stealth startup
- Operate with business partners to create compliance with corporate accounting policies, procedures, and controls and provide support on special requests
- Ability to effectively interact, verbally and in writing, with functional department managers
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 4+ years of experience in Accounting, including exposure to all important aspects of month end close process
- Prior experience working with Netsuite or similar
- Startup experience
- Extreme attention to detail and high regard for precision
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to retain complex work directions
- Able to adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Nice to Haves
- CPA credentials
- Big 4 experience
- Experience in fintech
Pomelo takes a market-based approach to compensation, offering equity and a base salary as part of the compensation package. The estimated base salary range for this role is $119,000 - $160,000 per year. Exact compensation may differ from this range and depends on the candidate’s experience, domain expertise, and interview performance.
Benefits and Perks
- ❤️ A meaningful mission and an opportunity for direct social impact. We’re putting real money back in the hands of the people who need it most and helping immigrants and their families realize the American dream.
- 👥 An amazing team and culture. You’ll have peers from both top tech companies (e.g. Google, Twitter, Microsoft) and other successful startups (e.g. Affirm, Remitly, MemSQL). We empower each other to do great work and continue growing.
- 💪 Opportunity for major impact, learning, and growth.
- 🏥 Platinum-level health insurance (medical, dental, vision) — with 100% covered by the company for you and 50% for dependents.
- 🌴 PTO: 3 weeks in your first year, 4 weeks thereafter, plus national holidays
- ✈️ $1,500 annual travel stipend
- 😌 $300 annual wellness stipend
- 🖥 $500 home office setup stipend
- 🗺 Twice-a-year company retreats. Previous trips include skiing in Park City and getting sun and surf in Cabo, Mexico.