THE POLYMATH VENTURES APPROACH
Polymath is a venture builder designed for Latin America, incubating and building (from scratch) innovative, tech-enabled, scalable ventures rooted in existing consumer behaviors. We are beginning our mission in Latin America, with the goal to build innovative, game-changing companies that serve the needs of the fast-expanding middle class. We are taking a unique, methodological approach to company building: Polymath attracts the best local and international talent to jump into and remain in entrepreneurship, taking founder roles at the helm of our ventures. Polymath co-builds with these founders, taking a hands-on approach throughout the entire venture lifecycle.
Polymath builds tech and data-driven companies. A common thread across our ventures is that they are platform businesses that take existing offline consumer and SME behavior, and bring them onto digital platforms. Whether it is a financial advisor (Aflore), an auto mechanic (Autolab), or a taxi driver (Táximo), our platforms offer user-centered UX, collect structured data, and leverage powerful algorithms to increase the productivity of the service provided.
WE ARE SEEKING A DIRECTOR TO JOIN OUR YOUNG AND FAST-GROWING TEAM, LEADING POLYMATH’S VENTURE FUNDRAISING TEAM
With six fast-growing ventures and a number of new ones to be incubated in the coming years,
Polymath’s ventures engage in significant fundraising activity. Our ventures raise funds across a number of different stages and from a wide variety of investor segments. In terms of stage, our ventures raise funds from Series Seed to beyond and eventual exit. In terms of investor segments, we raise funds from a wide range of investors including Angels, Family Offices, VCs, and Strategics locally and internationally. To-date, our ventures have raised more than $23M of equity capital from investors and significantly more when including debt capital.
Polymath’s Venture Fundraising team supports our venture founders throughout the entire lifecycle of funding rounds, from round prep to closing, and is responsible for building an engaged network of potential investors. The Director will be a trusted advisor to our founders, working alongside them to prepare pitch decks and financial models, strategize and structure funding rounds, pitching to investors and navigating the due diligence and closing processes. This will be a very interesting and valuable role for anyone interested in gaining exposure to both early stage investments and entrepreneurship, with unique exposure to both fundraising investment processes and the opportunity to work directly with entrepreneurs. In addition, the Director will lead a team of highly talented associates who support the fundraising processes. The position will report directly to Polymath’s CFO.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Leading the Venture Fundraising team, currently composed of two highly talented associates.
- Working closely with our venture founders, acting as a trusted advisor and member of the team during their entire fundraising processes. Specific responsibilities include:
- Managing round preparation processes, including:
- Planning and executing pitch decks and financial models
- Funding round structuring and strategy
- Building a valuation defense
- Building a list of target investors
- Pitching to investors together with the venture founders and coaching the founders on their pitching skills
- Managing due diligence processes
- Managing round closings, including project management and legal documentation
- Project management of the entire fundraising lifecycle
- Building and managing an extensive network of venture investors, including Angels, Family Offices, VCs, and Strategics locally and internationally.
- Advising venture founders on investor relations, including regular investor updates and annual meetings.
- Acting as the Product Manager of Polymath’s Venture Fundraising Product. This means measuring the effectiveness of the team’s fundraising efforts, ensuring that we are providing the best service possible to our founders and constantly iterating to improve the product.
WHY BUILD WITH US?
- Join one of the most talented teams in Latin America with the right methodology to dramatically increase the likelihood of startup success
- Build something important that impacts customers' lives and employs 1000s of people
- See the direct results of every ounce of sweat (and tears)
- 10+ years of investment and/or fundraising experience, preferably in an early stage context
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to prepare and own presentations and other marketing materials
- Experience building and managing complex financial models from scratch
- Superior project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter, keen to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexible and quick thinking, with the ability to deal with ambiguity
- Growth and learning mindset, with no fear to challenge and be critical
- Both Spanish and English fluency required
A FEW OF POLYMATH'S SUCCESSES SO FAR
- 9 ventures incubated and launched since 2012, with 6 of those operating today
- $23M+ of equity capital raised by these ventures to-date
- Currently operating in Colombia, Mexico and Peru
- 300+ people employed across the Polymath group
- Táximo, our first venture launched, recently closed a $4M Series B round. They have operations in Colombia, Peru and México.